Looking into license to sell coral etc in Florida

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of selling some things like berghias and coral out of my house. I live in Florida, and I’d like to get the license to do this. I see there is an SPL license and also I’ve been reading about a retail license that you need to sell to consumers, and it looks like the SPL license will only allow me to sell to stores etc?

There’s a few old threads I’ve read through. If anyone could give me some more guidance or has some experience with what i need to do for Florida specifically, I would appreciate it!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You go for it, I’d be interested to know how that whole licence/vendor thing works and is it limited like a liquor lic?
There can’t be enough Florida vendors for my satisfaction….
You got any local collectors on retainer or you buying wholesale
…add Ricordea and Gorgonians of course

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You go for it, I’d be interested to know how that whole licence/vendor thing works and is it limited like a liquor lic?
There can’t be enough Florida vendors for my satisfaction….
You got any local collectors on retainer or you buying wholesale
…add Ricordea and Gorgonians of course
Cool, why do you say that about Florida? There seem to be a lot already lol. I wanted to do the propagation myself for the most part. But I would like to look into getting some things wholesale in the future. But for now, I just want to sell the berghias that I’m pretty good at breeding, and sell some coral without having to worry about getting a fine. Lol

I’d like to ship some things too so I just want it to be legit

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan on opening a retail store, I'm not sure how this is any different then a hobbyist selling his excess to other hobbyist out of their garage?

That requires a permit in florida?

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here ya go! Hope this helps.
Hey yes thanks! Are you familiar with this process in Florida?

From what I’ve read, I would need to get the SPL license to harvest and sell anything. Then it looks like I would also need the RC license to sell to an end user (which sounds to me like most sales other than selling things to my LFS). Then my only other question is about how to report things to the fwc as it mentions on that page also. Thanks!

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, no problem! To be honest not entirely sure I was curious on the process as well. You do need those certs though. But from what I’ve been reading you can just call the fwc office in your area.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the OP needs any of these permits. They are all for commercial applications. The OP is talking about selling out of his garage, not opening an aquaculture facility, or having a retail space.
Yeah if you’re selling out of garage as a hobbies I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan on opening a retail store, I'm not sure how this is any different then a hobbyist selling his excess to other hobbyist out of their garage?

That requires a permit in florida?

I don't think the OP needs any of these permits. They are all for commercial applications. The OP is talking about selling out of his garage, not opening an aquaculture facility, or having a retail space.
Yes Florida is pretty strict due to us having so much coastal area. They don’t take lightly when you don’t follow the law, and FWC is very present.

I probably could get away with it but it opens the opportunity to get fined. And I have a whole system I’ve built for propagating some things, so I’d like to be able to ship things out without worrying.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely look into it, and contact the local governing body, but I think you'll find you will fall under the hobbyist selling to other hobbyists and no permits will be required.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

found this thread from 12 years ago lol. Not sure how it relates now but probably the same.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, why do you say that about Florida? There seem to be a lot already lol. I wanted to do the propagation myself for the most part. But I would like to look into getting some things wholesale in the future. But for now, I just want to sell the berghias that I’m pretty good at breeding, and sell some coral without having to worry about getting a fine. Lol

I’d like to ship some things too so I just want it to be legit
speaking strictly for the USA, but with the Carribean so close by, I’m not sure even enough is coming out of there, relative to Asia anyway… I also (wishfully thinking) would love to see more local softies and perhaps one day, hard corals from the New World…

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about coral licensing but my day job revolves around liquor manufacturing licensing and I'll just second the people telling you to call your local authorities. They want you to follow the rules so if you call up asking for the best way to do that they are happy to help. Depending on how comfortable you are with dealing with bureaucrats they often are willing to walk you through the entire process holding your hand.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If FWC gets you on their radar screen for something minor, they will ‘prosecute’ you like you committed mass murder— they live for this stuff. (Don’t even get me started about trying to mow your lawn if you have a gopher tortoise hole.)

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about coral licensing but my day job revolves around liquor manufacturing licensing and I'll just second the people telling you to call your local authorities. They want you to follow the rules so if you call up asking for the best way to do that they are happy to help. Depending on how comfortable you are with dealing with bureaucrats they often are willing to walk you through the entire process holding your hand.
This seems to be the best bet, I’ll give them a call and see if they can help me get everything set up. Thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back