Looking to get 15 gallon Reef Tank

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said Montipora...I have a couple digis that are thriving in my 10 gallon blue and orange...I spent a while conditioning the tank and getting the microbiome as mature as possible before adding my corals though (definitely more than just a cycle)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said Montipora...I have a couple digis that are thriving in my 10 gallon blue and orange...I spent a while conditioning the tank and getting the microbiome as mature as possible before adding my corals though (definitely more than just a cycle)
I really love montipora digitata. Fantastic coral. If you like digi, check out the brighter morphs of Montipora hirsuta.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love montipora digitata. Fantastic coral. If you like digi, check out the brighter morphs of Montipora hirsuta.
Sounds like fun! I'm about to try a couple tester acros too but waiting to get my new test kits this week to make sure everything is stable enough before adding them

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like fun! I'm about to try a couple tester acros too but waiting to get my new test kits this week to make sure everything is stable enough before adding them
If this will be a first acro, check out the green slimer. It's very tough. Neon green. Actually lives. What's not to love?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this will be a first acro, check out the green slimer. It's very tough. Neon green. Actually lives. What's not to love?
I'm here in Bangkok so I don't always have the names of the corals available unless I just happen to know it but I'll Google that one and if I see it I'll pick it up! I need something green other than my cyphastrea and black sun coral

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here in Bangkok so I don't always have the names of the corals available unless I just happen to know it but I'll Google that one and if I see it I'll pick it up! I need something green other than my cyphastrea and black sun coral
It's an Acropora youngei supposedly from Bali. I think I'm Australia they call it the dallas acropora. Super easy to grow.

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies would be good for this size of tank but if you do stonies in particular fast growers you are going to be in for some serious frustration. Small tanks create serious difficulties when it comes to stonies ... just be aware.
Oh yeah, I think that I’m going to move up to stonies eventually but not yet and not in this tank. I’m still new to reefing so I’m taking it slow and starting with only beginner corals. That way I can make some beginner mistakes without wiping out all my collection lol. In a couple of years, I’ll probably graduate to larger tanks with some more advanced corals. I’m hoping by then I’ll have a larger place as well, we’ll see.

You don't get a lot of evaporation with the EVO 13.5 if you leave the lid on. I would probably pass on the skimmer, pick the heater up separately and get a Tunze Nano ATO instead.
In terms of filtration, what would you suggest for a tank this size?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size you can really just get away with a decent HOB filter (mine is pretty cheap tbh)...since presumably your bioload wouldn't be so heavy as long as you do weekly water changes

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you said you were gonna start out with softies mostly so higher nitrate and phosphate aren't as big of a deal as with Stony corals but there's a product for nano tanks that really helps control both and I think it keeps my water clearer as well...it's Aquaforest Pro Bio F... probiotic bacteria...not that you really need to be dosing anything at all but that product is like biological filtration... really helps control your phos. And nitrates when your ready for a Stony coral in the future or if it becomes a problem for whatever reason

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you said you were gonna start out with softies mostly so higher nitrate and phosphate aren't as big of a deal as with Stony corals but there's a product for nano tanks that really helps control both and I think it keeps my water clearer as well...it's Aquaforest Pro Bio F... probiotic bacteria...not that you really need to be dosing anything at all but that product is like biological filtration... really helps control your phos. And nitrates when your ready for a Stony coral in the future or if it becomes a problem for whatever reason
Oh cool! I’ll definitely look up this product. It sounds interesting. Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna use live rock??
Yup! I have some live rocks that I can put in from my current tank. I’ll probably put one or two in there as my current saltwater tank probably has too much live rock. I went a bit overboard imo. I might buy one other live rock though for the tank. Not sure about that yet.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! I have some live rocks that I can put in from my current tank. I’ll probably put one or two in there as my current saltwater tank probably has too much live rock. I went a bit overboard imo. I might buy one other live rock though for the tank. Not sure about that yet.
I don't know how you can go overboard with live rock when starting a tank! Haha

Didn't know you had another tank....what size?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for smallish nano tanks i like
waterbox mini 25
fiji cube 20
IM 14
both are peninsula tanks are are just amazing if you have the space for a small peninsula there great I have my fiji cube between a chair and the couch.

the glass on those are better than the evo ( not that the evo is a bad tank at all ) I just like these better.

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
InTank media basket, 1-2 layers of filter floss on top, ChemiPure Blue in the middle (change out every 2-4 months). MarinePure small hexes for bio media.
Oh cool, thanks. I actually have a lot of that media so that’ll be easy to add or easy on my wallet lol.
I don't know how you can go overboard with live rock when starting a tank! Haha

Didn't know you had another tank....what size?
It’s a 32 Biocube. And I meant more that it’s become a bit congested, I feel like I can give the fish more space if I move some out.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Oh cool, thanks. I actually have a lot of that media so that’ll be easy to add or easy on my wallet lol.

It’s a 32 Biocube. And I meant more that it’s become a bit congested, I feel like I can give the fish more space if I move some out.
Oh I see...I've got two nanos myself...I just wish some of the fish I want could be kept in them but imo nanos make perfect tanks for coral since the frags don't need to grow too much to make the aquascape look full

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 13.5 fluval, would I have to purchase different lights? Like, are the LED included strong for softs?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back