Looking to get 15 gallon Reef Tank

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’m looking to buy a 15 gallon reef tank. I would prefer to get a AIO at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not quite 15 gallons, I'd get the Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon. Probably the best AIO tank in that range for the money.
Oh thanks! This does look like exactly what I’m looking for. I’m curious, is the fluval complete kit worth it? Or should I get different skimmer and heater?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks! This does look like exactly what I’m looking for. I’m curious, is the fluval complete kit worth it? Or should I get different skimmer and heater?
You don't necessarily need the skimmer but if it's not a bad deal that's always an option. What heater is it packaged with? I'd also look at the InTank media basket and some of the other Fluval 13.5 accessories they make (plug, water director, etc.)

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't necessarily need the skimmer but if it's not a bad deal that's always an option. What heater is it packaged with? I'd also look at the InTank media basket and some of the other Fluval 13.5 accessories they make (plug, water director, etc.)
Oh ok, I’ll take a look. And here’s the link with the complete kit:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't need to much for a nano reef tank but I'd definitely recommend an ATO because when just a little water evaporates it'll make all your parameters rise really quickly

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes instead of a skimmer will be just fine
Oh ok, fair enough! I don’t plan on having too much of a bio load in tank anyways. It would be mostly corals.
You really don't need to much for a nano reef tank but I'd definitely recommend an ATO because when just a little water evaporates it'll make all your parameters rise really quickly
Oh yeah that makes a lot sense. I’ll definitely get an ATO for that tank as well.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh why do you dislike it?
I don't like the overflow configuration, or the baffle configuration...I think they could have gone slightly thicker on the glass. It's almost like it was designed by a non-reefer IMHO. The stock pump ...the stock pump is an embarrassment and whoever sourced it for the company should find another role that doesn't involve pump decisions.

The shape is great. I do wish that I went with the 25 though.

Edit: or another brand.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty happy with my nano that's just a rimless 10 gallon with a HOB filter not an aio...it seems like you would wanna upgrade a lot of stuff (of course that depends on what you're keeping and all)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's more than just a tank with a filter...I have a Noopsyche K7 V3 light, ATO, and had to get a small chiller due to where I live

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What nano chiller do you use?
It's a Hailea 28a... Rated for up to like 25 gallons...I'm not sure if you have that brand, I'm in Bangkok...good chiller though, I've had it a while now and never had a problem with it

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah that makes a lot sense. I’ll definitely get an ATO for that tank as well.
You don't get a lot of evaporation with the EVO 13.5 if you leave the lid on. I would probably pass on the skimmer, pick the heater up separately and get a Tunze Nano ATO instead.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would be zoas, montipora, and a couple of mushrooms.
Softies would be good for this size of tank but if you do stonies in particular fast growers you are going to be in for some serious frustration. Small tanks create serious difficulties when it comes to stonies ... just be aware.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep two 15 gallon tanks right now. The other is a fluval flex that I have modified to take a kessil 360. Running an mp10 for flow.

One is a mixed reef with a few acros but mostly monti and lps. A few things I have learned: go for fine branching sps if you want sps. The spy red Montipora hirsuta and the rrc Golden rod Anacropora are fantastic in this tank because they give you sps colony morphology at a far smaller size than plenty of sps.

The mini peninsula is a zoa-only tank. That's lit with an AI prime. Wish I had the hydra 32 on that one (for coverage)

Any of the tanks with a tight fitting completely closed lid really do benefit from aeration, either from a skimmer or a good old fashioned air stone.

I do not use a skimmer on either tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back