OP
OP
luis

luis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you guys get nutrients so high!? my tank is ULN at this point and i have no filtration at all. No skimmer, no gfo or any of that. I really like your scape btw that will be beautiful when it grows out!
Thank you I feed 2 times a day plus sometimes I dose phosphates and nitrates.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you guys get nutrients so high!? my tank is ULN at this point and i have no filtration at all. No skimmer, no gfo or any of that. I really like your scape btw that will be beautiful when it grows out!
Do you use filter socks, bio bricks, etc?
What size is your tank, how many fish and what do you feed?

My tank is only 50g but I have 12 fish, and a lot of snail. I feed 1 cube of frozen mysis, rods food, and mysis spiralina each everyday along with a small piece of nori.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your parameters now and lights settings if you don't mind sharing
IMG_2296.png
IMG_2295.png
255FD95F-E713-4433-A2D2-142CCBC230CA.jpeg

50g cube with 3 radion gen 6 xr 15 pro’s
300-600 par for 9 peak hours with 1.5 hour ramps
IMG_2184.jpeg

I only checked these a couple weeks ago bc I did a micro flucozanole treatment for some bryopsis

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use filter socks, bio bricks, etc?
What size is your tank, how many fish and what do you feed?

My tank is only 50g but I have 12 fish, and a lot of snail. I feed 1 cube of frozen mysis, rods food, and mysis spiralina each everyday along with a small piece of nori.
it’s a 10 gallon waterbox. Has had a yellow watchman and a clown for the past 3 years and i just added a royal gramma last weekend. I feed pellets, mysis and brine. reef roids and AB+ 2-3x a week. Yeah the only filtration it has is some filter floss. Having the same problem in a newly setup 40b with 4 fish but which i feed a lot but i’m assuming that one is because it was dry rock + dry sand. However this cube is well established and always had live rock.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great example of 2 of the most common contributors to coralcide (coral murder). Gfo and the Hanna po4 checker
Hmmmm…. Other PO4 kits will work just as well.
My Hanna is recent purchase, got tired of colour decoding, but it is good to tell me I have PO4.

In my defence, at the time I followed the low PO4 trend and this:
1682653354492.jpeg

I don’t know how that actually works long term. My corals SPS especially kept turning white.

OP
OP
luis

luis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2296.png
IMG_2295.png

IMG_2184.jpeg

I only checked these a couple weeks ago bc I did a micro flucozanole treatment for some bryopsis
Do you get any algae at all at the sand?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm…. Other PO4 kits will work just as well.
My Hanna is recent purchase, got tired of colour decoding, but it is good to tell me I have PO4.

In my defence, at the time I followed the low PO4 trend and this:
1682653354492.jpeg

I don’t know how that actually works long term. My corals SPS especially kept turning white.
I believe all the chasing of any of the recommended “recipes” in this hobby cause more coral harm than good. People grew acros just fine 25-30 years ago with no dosers, auto testers, timers etc.
Good light, decent flow (lower is better than too much to me) and fish poop is all you need. (Assuming your water is not contaminated)

Although I stick these
image.jpg
in my tank all the time with no issues. Definitely no tank crashes. I’ve seen a little rust cloud when I open and close them

OP
OP
luis

luis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all the chasing of any of the recommended “recipes” in this hobby cause more coral harm than good. People grew acros just fine 25-30 years ago with no dosers, auto testers, timers etc.
Good light, decent flow (lower is better than too much to me) and fish poop is all you need. (Assuming your water is not contaminated)

Although I stick these
image.jpg
in my tank all the time with no issues. Definitely no tank crashes. I’ve seen a little rust cloud when I open and close them
Man you absolutely right I being doing this for a long time I use to run metal halides with no skimmer no sump just a canister filter and grow across like crazy now we use all this fancy equipment and it seems to me that is harder.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you absolutely right I being doing this for a long time I use to run metal halides with no skimmer no sump just a canister filter and grow across like crazy now we use all this fancy equipment and it seems to me that is harder.
Yep. Me too. Then I got back into acros in 2017 and had nothing but problems. I had “your parameters look good” but nothing but stn/rtn acros.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Although I stick these
image.jpg
Hmmm… so that is how to dose element Fe ……

If I may ask, what fish are you keeping in your tank? I have similar size tank.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm… so that is how to dose element Fe ……

If I may ask, what fish are you keeping in your tank? I have similar size tank.
Funny. I read about hobbyists freaking out about “possible rusty” hinges, pumps, magnets etc……but then they’ll recommend a bag/reactor full of gfo……which is just pellets of rusty iron.

I have a lawnmower blenny, tomini tang, a rabbit fish, 21 year old ocellaris clown, 2 six line wrasse (separated) 3 banghais cardinals, a royal gramma, and 2 springer damsels.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. I read about hobbyists freaking out about “possible rusty” hinges, pumps, magnets etc……but then they’ll recommend a bag/reactor full of gfo……which is just pellets of rusty iron.

I have a lawnmower blenny, tomini tang, a rabbit fish, 21 year old ocellaris clown, 2 six line wrasse (separated) 3 banghais cardinals, a royal gramma, and 2 springer damsels.
Hmmm…. tang police lol. To be honest I have one as well, cool fish. Interesting mix especially the royal gramma. I tried twice and both time they disappeared. Both seemed fine for a week and poof, gone.
Also your banghais are they wild or tank raised. Love the fish, had one and it was great but one day I found in stuck to my power head… From reading they do seem hit or miss.

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my situation although my nutrients are low i also randomly did a copper test with hanna checker last night and it showed 0.15ppm copper. Thinking that might have something to do with acros not being so happy… Sending in an ICP-MS on monday.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm…. tang police lol. To be honest I have one as well, cool fish. Interesting mix especially the royal gramma. I tried twice and both time they disappeared. Both seemed fine for a week and poof, gone.
Also your banghais are they wild or tank raised. Love the fish, had one and it was great but one day I found in stuck to my power head… From reading they do seem hit or miss.
Unrelated, but i picked up some coral last week from a guy who had a yellow tang in a 50l (13.5g) tank. He has had it for 3 years…

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run my skimmer when the pH drops below 8.3. I have a C02 scrubber attached to the air inlet. My skimmer only runs about 8 hrs a day and since my nitrates are now 25 and my phosphate is .05. Coral coloration is better than ever.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated, but i picked up some coral last week from a guy who had a yellow tang in a 50l (13.5g) tank. He has had it for 3 years…
I been reefing for 5 years and I honestly find the fish stocking/ recommendations / suggestions very confusing. On one hand I get that the fish needs space but if they state 75gal, so 74 gal is no go but 76 gal is suddenly ok? People add ton of rock to the display so I don’t think those 75gal tank have anything close to 75 gal of water so is that a no go situation. Same for how many fish one can have and size. My tank size is similar to Charlie and I want to add more fish, I have 5 and one is Tomini tang and Tomini does a lot of swimming against my MP40 power head.
I always wanted to add Rabbit fish but from research it seems like that is a no starter, need bigger tank and maybe I have too much fish as is. Now I see that it actually works and maybe the tank is not so small and I have room to add more fish.

I am also coming to a realization that when corals grow well they consume a lot of fish byproducts and as a a result my skimmer is skimming inconsistently. Corals especially SPS are the best filter so another reason to add more fish.

Now you tell me there is Yellow tang in 50l, so my head exploded.

OP
OP
luis

luis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2296.png
IMG_2295.png

IMG_2184.jpeg

How can I use your light schedule if you don't mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back