Losing my Elegance?

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have had my elegance for almost 3 months, it has been the star of the tank, big, bubbly, and full of movement. In the last week it has been getting these orange spots, now the tentacles are thin and scraggly looking, and all in all it just looks bad. Any clue as to what is affecting it?

Alk: 8.1
Mg: 1480
Ca: 400
Ph: 8.0 (a little low)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

B4D19B18-C096-4457-A6D2-FFD25DA727AD.jpeg

Dimmy007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have had my elegance for almost 3 months, it has been the star of the tank, big, bubbly, and full of movement. In the last week it has been getting these orange spots, now the tentacles are thin and scraggly looking, and all in all it just looks bad. Any clue as to what is affecting it?

Alk: 8.1
Mg: 1480
Ca: 400
Ph: 8.0 (a little low)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

B4D19B18-C096-4457-A6D2-FFD25DA727AD.jpeg
What are you feeding it?

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown, 1 little goby, some hermits, snails, elegance, torch, Frogspawn, Xenia, mini maxi carpet nem, ricordea, trumpet, favia, Macro algae
Only thing I can think of is you have elevated phosphates, lack of nutrients in feeding, or it has a disease.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is you have elevated phosphates, lack of nutrients in feeding, or it has a disease.
I will get a phosphate test kit and a different food to try. Idk what to do about the disease if that’s the case. What is a recommended phosphate level?

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a phosphate test kit and a different food to try. Idk what to do about the disease if that’s the case. What is a recommended phosphate level?
I keep mine at .10. Acceptable range is .10-.25... do you have any algae issues?

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the Hanna phosphate checker because it’s more precise then other testers

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the Hanna phosphate checker because it’s more precise then other testers
Ok great I’ll look into that for sure. This is my first tank so it’s a learning process! I have some purple and blue macro algae growing that I didn’t put in there, and there is some bubble algae places, crusty places of coralline, nothing major though. The sides get some brown green we keep cleaned off the glass every few days.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie or indo? Do you know?

The indo elegance fall victim to whats called elegance coral syndrome(or ECS for short). The tentacles get stubby, and it starts to wither away. Nothing I have read says there is a cure. Not saying this is your issue, just a possibility if it's an indo variety. Now that the indo region has been shut down, and has been for a while now, it's quite possibly an aussie.

It took me 4 elegance to get one that was truly an aussie and survived.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie or indo? Do you know?

The indo elegance fall victim to whats called elegance coral syndrome(or ECS for short). The tentacles get stubby, and it starts to wither away. Nothing I have read says there is a cure. Not saying this is your issue, just a possibility if it's an indo variety. Now that the indo region has been shut down, and has been for a while now, it's quite possibly an aussie.

It took me 4 elegance to get one that was truly an aussie and survived.
I really am not sure if it is an Aussie or not. I did read about the issues with them, but I had thought it would have already died if that was the case. I guess there really is no good way to tell.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Act, Ive never kept an elegance but i have had many lps corals. Also just a thought, maybe your water is too clean and you don't have enough nutrients in the water. I keep my nitrates at 5-10 and phosphates .05-.1 and actually rarely feed my lps and don't feed some of my lps corals. Didn't know about ECS! Ill keep that in mind if I ever want to get one

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like red flatworms. Probably irritating the coral.

Get a turkey blaster or something else and suck as many off as possible while being gentle.

Squirt into a cup of freshwater (even a few times if they won’t leave the turkey baster)

Look into flatworm exit if you have a ton

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like red flatworms. Probably irritating the coral.

Get a turkey blaster or something else and suck as many off as possible while being gentle.

Squirt into a cup of freshwater (even a few times if they won’t leave the turkey baster)

Look into flatworm exit if you have a ton
I agree. Looks like when i had them. Flatworm exit fixed.

Back