Lost A Pair Clown

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lost my male clown to my mini maxi (second fish I lost to this nem, going to sell it) he was bonded with my female. Will my female be alright without him? I'd like to not replace him if I don't have to.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will be fine.
How come you lost a clown to a nem? :eek:
Maybe the squad can chime in on this happening.

#reefsquad

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The female should be fine without the male. It sucks, but it's not the first time I've heard of a clown being eaten. IMO under normal circumstances this is usually due to a clown being sick or dying before being eaten (nature was designed to clean up after itself). However, I think the fact that it was a maxi mini may be an issue (not sure I've ever heard of a maxi mini successfully hosting clowns). I know some nems like condis (and I think maxis) are not known for hosting clowns and may actually eat them...but I'll let someone confirm if I'm right on that last bit or not.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will be fine.
How come you lost a clown to a nem? :eek:
Maybe the squad can chime in on this happening.

#reefsquad
It's a mini maxi. They are known to eat fish, they are very sticky. It use to be the size of a quarter but now it's about 3.5 -4 inches in diameter. Lost a firefish to it few months ago.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female should be fine without the male. It sucks, but it's not the first time I've heard of a clown being eaten. IMO under normal circumstances this is usually due to a clown being sick or dying before being eaten (nature was designed to clean up after itself). However, I think the fact that it was a maxi mini may be an issue (not sure I've ever heard of a maxi mini successfully hosting clowns). I know some nems like condis (and I think maxis) are not known for hosting clowns and may actually eat them...but I'll let someone confirm if I'm right on that last bit or not.
I think what happened was the nem moved to the corner the 2 clowns sleep in. The male sleeps below the female and the nem moved into the males area, all it took was contact. The fish was not sick

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think what happened was the nem moved to the corner the 2 clowns sleep in. The male sleeps below the female and the nem moved into the males area, all it took was contact. The fish was not sick
That makes sense. Sorry it happened.

Back