Lost and Presumed Dead for 4 Months!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2020
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
628
What state or country do you live in
West Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a true little experience I had and just wanted to share, enjoy!

Some background, I'm currently running a BioCube 32. It's been up roughly 3 years. One big factor that got me into the hobby was the Yellow Watchmen and Pistol Shrimp pair.

This starts at like 5 months ago, I had a Yellow Watchmen but no shrimp. So, I thought it was finally time to have what got me here. I picked up a Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp. After arriving I acclimated the little dude and introduced him. They meet up almost instantly. The Goby became so much more active, now having a job. Days came and went, and they were still just doing their thing. I never saw the Shimp much and occasionally heard his snaps. I relied on the changing or piling up of sand to tell if he was there. A month passes and somewhere in there I vacuum the sand. A week goes by, and the sand quits changing, and the Goby went back to always hiding. This led to some "Red Flags", so I paid extra close attention to the sand. No sign... form the sand. This scared the life out of me, I thought I had sucked up the Shrimp and killed him. I always thought of the Shimp, felt bad for killing him. I would dwell on it a bit too much. I eventually noticed the sound they make; it was quiet and easily confused for water splashing. My Dad would swear it was just the water. I just couldn't tell and presumed it was the water and life went on. Finally, after 4 months, yesterday, I wake up around 2 in the morning. I grab a drink and whatever, tried to fall back asleep but couldn't. "POP" I shot out of the bed, I knew exactly what I had just heard, it was as clear as day. I grabbed a flashlight quickly searching the sand bed for any sign of him, there was nothing. Did I hear its ghost or was it actually just the water? "POP" rings again. This time it sounded like it came from the back of the tank, the filtration part. I was half awake and confused. I shined my light into the return pump compartment. To my surprise the Shimp as there alive. From the exposure of the light, it shot itself into the return pump. I was so lost. quickly I shut the pump off and took it out. As I took it out the Shimp must have slipped back into the chamber. I did not know this, so I stated tanking the pump apart. I was shocked to find a "home" in the pump. Sand, molts, detritus, and whatever else. I sat the pump on a towel and looked back into the chamber it was there crawling around like it owned the place. After what felt like hours, I was able to get him into my hand and transfer him to the displace tank. As of today, the Goby and him met up and are back to regular.

I just think it is crazy, he was living IN my return pump. Let alone for 4 months and I thought he was dead.
Thanks for reading!
 
Wow this reads like a ghost story with a happy ending.
 
I appreciate the good news. I tell ya, I'm prepping to get my tank up and running and every time I come here it's just an endless litany of problems and woes and horror, to the point where it makes me wonder if this is a bad idea.

But cheers on your good news!
 
I appreciate the good news. I tell ya, I'm prepping to get my tank up and running and every time I come here it's just an endless litany of problems and woes and horror, to the point where it makes me wonder if this is a bad idea.

But cheers on your good news!
Thanks Dude. I enjoy the up and downs up this hobby hope it works out for you.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new