Lost Everything

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six days without power from the recent snow in Virginia, and I didn't have a generator (I do now...). Everything in my biocube, 45g cube, and 90g tanks is dead. I kept things going for the first few days, and didn't lose any fish until the fourth day. After that it was too far gone. I bought a generator that day, and tried transferring some stuff to a smaller tank that I've been running off a generator, but the only things likely to survive are a few snails, a duncan, an acan, and one rock flower.

Thousands of dollars of fish and coral lost because I was unprepared. I hadn't had a power outage in five years because our lines are buried underground, but this storm blew out the transformer that served just three houses on our street, so we were super low priority to get back online. I have the generator now, but not sure whether I want to rebuild... I'm not sure what I'm hoping to accomplish with this post, I just felt like writing it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six days without power from the recent snow in Virginia, and I didn't have a generator (I do now...). Everything in my biocube, 45g cube, and 90g tanks is dead. I kept things going for the first few days, and didn't lose any fish until the fourth day. After that it was too far gone. I bought a generator that day, and tried transferring some stuff to a smaller tank that I've been running off a generator, but the only things likely to survive are a few snails, a duncan, an acan, and one rock flower.

Thousands of dollars of fish and coral lost because I was unprepared. I hadn't had a power outage in five years because our lines are buried underground, but this storm blew out the transformer that served just three houses on our street, so we were super low priority to get back online. I have the generator now, but not sure whether I want to rebuild... I'm not sure what I'm hoping to accomplish with this post, I just felt like writing it.
You don't need to accomplish anything with it... been a rough go for you last few days obviously. Condolences on these losses experienced. Wish it turned out differently, and wishing you the best on your future decisions regarding the hobby, no matter what they are.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? My parents were knocked out for 3 days?

I always kinda figured maybe I could run a heater and a couple of pumps on an inverter off the car.

I have a small ups that’ll run a power head for a day but still need to set up my longer term backup.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know it's rough loosing corals/ fish and no one want to go thru it but things happen and we just learn and move on.

This is a great opportunity for you to start fresh and make changes as you wish and start a new awesome tank. Keep your spirit up. Losing is part of life but rebounding is the best feeling that come out of it.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? My parents were knocked out for 3 days?

I always kinda figured maybe I could run a heater and a couple of pumps on an inverter off the car.

I have a small ups that’ll run a power head for a day but still need to set up my longer term backup.
I'm just a few minutes north of Charlottesville, VA. I bought an 8,000 watt generator, so I won't have any trouble running my tanks in the future if I do rebuild. It's just super sad to see all these coral and fish that you had grown from small babies or frags into huge colonies all just whither away while you are powerless to stop it. Had I gone out and bought the generator the first day I probably wouldn't have lost anything, I just kept thinking we would come back up any minute, and we never did.

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's rough loosing corals/ fish and no one want to go thru it but things happen and we just learn and move on.

This is a great opportunity for you to start fresh and make changes as you wish and start a new awesome tank. Keep your spirit up. Losing is part of life but rebounding is the best feeling that come out of it.

Good luck!
My wife is encouraging me to rebuild at least the 90g tank. She liked looking at it, and we were well known by our friends and their kids as the fish people, so their kids were excited to come over and look at everything. I might rebuild just to keep that up.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just a few minutes north of Charlottesville, VA. I bought an 8,000 watt generator, so I won't have any trouble running my tanks in the future if I do rebuild. It's just super sad to see all these coral and fish that you had grown from small babies or frags into huge colonies all just whither away while you are powerless to stop it. Had I gone out and bought the generator the first day I probably wouldn't have lost anything, I just kept thinking we would come back up any minute, and we never did.
How cold did the water get? Sorry about your tank!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is encouraging me to rebuild at least the 90g tank. She liked looking at it, and we were well known by our friends and their kids as the fish people, so their kids were excited to come over and look at everything. I might rebuild just to keep that up.
Go through your stages of grief..remember why you did it in the first place and think about all the things you would have done 'right' but didnt want to do given you were already up and running. Now is your chance of doing it with years of knowledge and experience under your belt.

Sorry for your loss!!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the Gen purchase, that's a nice size. We have similar here. Side note, been down to Charlottesville area, a few times. Nice place... rent a cabin in Lydia area occasionally and like to visit the small towns like Staunton nearby and drive the Shenandoah Park....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back