Lost Everything

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor Freight is a good place to check if they're in your area. You can get a 5500w portable generator for around that price.
Little more expensive than harbor freight..but this does my entire hours. I have a hook into my breaker box. Takes me 5 minutes to be up and running

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Now you have a chance to rebuild and do it with the vision you have always had in your mind!! Skip the easy beginner stuff you know are hard to control. Focus on that "perfect reef" that you see in your mind's eye. That early "must stock with anything" urge is past. Build YOUR dream tank. Sometimes we all have be set back a step in order to move forward.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radical weather events from climate change and a wildly unprepared infrastructure. Think back to that crazy Texas blizzard last year and all the people who lost tanks.

Even here in Colorado (near boulder) a week ago we had 115mph winds and a simple brush fire burned down whole subdivisions in an afternoon

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little more expensive than harbor freight..but this does my entire hours. I have a hook into my breaker box. Takes me 5 minutes to be up and running

I have mine in the garage. Have a male to male 220 chord. Shut off main breaker and plug it in.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses, but don’t give up the hobby, you have a generator now so you will be more prepared if there is a next time.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radical weather events from climate change and a wildly unprepared infrastructure. Think back to that crazy Texas blizzard last year and all the people who lost tanks.

Even here in Colorado (near boulder) a week ago we had 115mph winds and a brush fire that burned down a whole town in an afternoon
I think we will be alright. Mother Nature has always been unpredictable and thrown harsh curveballs…..

‘And someday, somewhere
Some things get hit by lighting
And some things just don't
Hope we live long and lucky’
Texas Hurricane GIF

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is encouraging me to rebuild at least the 90g tank. She liked looking at it, and we were well known by our friends and their kids as the fish people, so their kids were excited to come over and look at everything. I might rebuild just to keep that up.
Man, keep that spirit! We are those crazy fish people on our block. I am truly sorry for your loss.
When you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up! Keep your head up, you got this

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely... I had a fire back in the early 90s caused by a short circuit in the timer I was using for my lights. Insurance covered the damaged equipment, but not livestock.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to my local LFS and he said insurance doesn’t even cover them!
That’s dumb, I live in a high-rise and my renters insurance covers me in case my tank breaks/floods/damages the building, that would presumably be tens of thousands of dollars of damage.
If insurance companies offered supplemental *power outage* insurance for people like us, that’d have tens of thousands of new policies overnight

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did it cost to be able to hook to breaker box?
I didn't hook it to the box. I have a 220 outlet in my garage and one on the generator. I just shut off my home main breaker (incase power comes on), roll the generator outside, plug it in, start it up.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six days without power from the recent snow in Virginia, and I didn't have a generator (I do now...). Everything in my biocube, 45g cube, and 90g tanks is dead. I kept things going for the first few days, and didn't lose any fish until the fourth day. After that it was too far gone. I bought a generator that day, and tried transferring some stuff to a smaller tank that I've been running off a generator, but the only things likely to survive are a few snails, a duncan, an acan, and one rock flower.

Thousands of dollars of fish and coral lost because I was unprepared. I hadn't had a power outage in five years because our lines are buried underground, but this storm blew out the transformer that served just three houses on our street, so we were super low priority to get back online. I have the generator now, but not sure whether I want to rebuild... I'm not sure what I'm hoping to accomplish with this post, I just felt like writing it.
I got very lucky and read a post like yours when I first started in the hobby about 5 years ago. I purchased a generator as a insurance policy for my 171 gallon Waterbox aquarium that has thousands of dollars in the tank. Ive had to use the generator twice and only for 12 hours at the longest but I still feel much safer having it and not messing with water parameters at all.

Hopefully you can restart and rebuild knowing that you now have that insurance policy.

johnreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are feeling your pain as we have had the hurrican sandy in manhattan back in the day.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aa2bad502f9be08a9fc23535fb1733e6.jpg

I hook this to my cars battery in an emergency situation.... and run 100ft extension cords

My car can idle for 3 days on a full tank of gas

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back