Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was SUPPOSED to write this post 5 days ago….well technically 4 days ago. I’m not the best with deadlines am I @Slocke lol.

So I’ve been pretty busy with the tank actually, and I’ve been going into overdrive, preparing for something. I’m going to travel to South America! I’m excited but now really stressed. A solid 3 weeks with me not being there with my fishies. So I’ve been try to get things under-control/automated/prepared. I’ve been cleaning everything rocks sand glass back panel sump, and now I need to run to either WWC or TSA to refresh all the cartridges and resin for my RODI, and get more salt. Then I am gonna do a 50% water change. Now the plan was to add two new fish additions but now I’m not so sure seeing as I won’t see them. Not the best idea to add some livestock see them for a day or two and then leave for a while right? I also seem to be winning my battle with the cyano ever since I upped the flow and changed the position of one of the power heads. I also moved some rocks around, yk to add some more real-estate for coral. I wanted to take some pictures to have the first FTS of the year but the tank looks like crap right now. I also have been having problems with the AI prime I have. It keeps disconnecting every 30 minutes.:rolleyes: Really looking forward to that Radion replacment. And my wrasse wish list is getting longer as @SaltyT helped me just now with a fish I like……man I need a bigger tank lol.

So I said I had a surprise. I got two actually. #1: Because my parameters are getting in check, once I come back from the trip I’ll be adding coral! Finally! Deciding wether I get a Toadstool, a Duncan, or a Frogspawn. Which do you think best for first coral? #2: I’m getting a special fish to add to the tank! A Red Sea Misbar Regal Angelfish! Treating myself :D

So since I’ll be getting a Regal, and @i cant think just got one, @Slocke …..where are you?;):grinning-squinting-face:
Toad stool all the way, they’re just so variable and very few fish nip on them.
Here’s two photos of my 6 leathers I got yesterday :)
E5E249CA-648F-4BE7-B48B-7CDD2F350CFE.jpeg

43582808-195A-4460-8B02-01EAA3C5B753.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Center left side of the country. Rainforest and Mountain terrain.

Thx. I won’t be adding anything new then.

Toadstool has 2 votes now! No love for the Duncan lol. Thx! He or she will add a lot more color to the tank with all those markings!
I agree with the Regal adding more colour, the question is how your Chaetodontoplus will react to another medium angel.
They certainly are beauties (this may be one of the few fish that look best without a filter).
47F984FD-8B81-4B0E-B2AA-099FD3E46F15.jpeg

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the question is how your Chaetodontoplus will react to another medium angel.
That is the question. Idk. I’m going to add an acclamation box and have the Regal in there for maybe a day or two. They are of different body shape and temperament so I hope that helps. As long as the Regal doesn’t decide to get nosy and peek into the hybrid’s home I think we’re alright, as I have another big cave and some other nooks large enough. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Any pointers?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from TSA and got myself some much needed goodies to help with the trip.
1673142646548.jpeg

1673142668532.jpeg

1673142689077.jpeg
Nice!!
I also need a new resin filter. Let's just add that to the 500 things I need/want right now. Not sure I want something nuclear grade though but maybe some nuclear plants want to run their tanks off of the waste water.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!
I also need a new resin filter. Let's just add that to the 500 things I need/want right now. Not sure I want something nuclear grade though
Yea my TDS was reading 1 for input and I didn’t like that lol. My resin was spent it was orange color, or amber color as it says in the pan flip. And the sediment filter was yellow. So I can scratch 3 things off of all the things I need/want. That ammonia tester is fire I never trusted my API ammonia testy thingy so this is a big relief.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that ammonia tester messes up or throws codes don’t be surprised. I searched everywhere for one then found one. Worked for a few test then nothing. Called hanna and soon as I said ammonia tester they said ship it back it’s defective and they don’t know when they will get them in. Sounds like they have an issue and why they are hard to find. Good luck.
Now I got new reagents and no tester lol

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that ammonia tester messes up or throws codes don’t be surprised. I searched everywhere for one then found one. Worked for a few test then nothing. Called hanna and soon as I said ammonia tester they said ship it back it’s defective and they don’t know when they will get them in. Sounds like they have an issue and why they are hard to find. Good luck.
Now I got new reagents and no tester lol
Thx for the heads up. That would be bad news if that were to happen immediately, but I’ve already got bad news, and right before the trip :anguished-face:

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BAD NEWS! 4 days before the trip, I have a sick fish! The Angel is not looking good. He has a cloudy eye, the other eye has something on it, he is breathing heavy, and has some faint blotches on his body. Thinking it’s flukes because these were the same symptoms he showed last time he had flukes. Just dosed PraziPro, and added an air stone. I’ll try to get a good picture. Really worried becuse I don’t much time to address the situation. Currently mixing some salt water to do a water change by tomorrow. Haven’t added anything new. Only thing that’s not the same from usual, is my skimmer overflowed and I turned off my return pump last night. @fishguy242 @Lost in the Sauce suggestions?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BAD NEWS! 4 days before the trip, I have a sick fish! The Angel is not looking good. He has a cloudy eye, the other eye has something on it, he is breathing heavy, and has some faint blotches on his body. Thinking it’s flukes because these were the same symptoms he showed last time he had flukes. Just dosed PraziPro, and added an air stone. I’ll try to get a good picture. Really worried becuse I don’t much time to address the situation. Currently mixing some salt water to do a water change by tomorrow. Haven’t added anything new. Only thing that’s not the same from usual, is my skimmer overflowed and I turned off my return pump last night. @fishguy242 @Lost in the Sauce suggestions?
Man it’s always bad timing and wrong fish. So you treated for flukes? How many times and time you dosed apart. Flukes can take a few rounds of treatment. Lower tank temps and ph can play into the life cycle. My colder tanks I dose 7-10 days vs 6-7

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to know without the visuals. If you suspect flukes and just dosed Prazi, do not do a water change tomorrow. The meds are good for 72 hours.
Alright won’t do the water change then. 72 hours huh? After those 72 hours are up should I FWD him? And after that FWD another round of Prazi?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man it’s always bad timing and wrong fish. So you treated for flukes? How many times and time you dosed apart. Flukes can take a few rounds of treatment. Lower tank temps and ph can play into the life cycle. My colder tanks I dose 7-10 days vs 6-7
I just got home and found this out an hour ago, so only 1 dose of 20.4 ml. The tank had a temp drop last night and was currently sitting at 70 an hour ago been :grimacing-face: I always check the tank in the morning and the time I don’t :confused: I would have to check what the temp is sitting at rn. pH is currently 8.1.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home and found this out an hour ago, so only 1 dose of 20.4 ml. The tank had a temp drop last night and was currently sitting at 70 an hour ago been :grimacing-face: I always check the tank in the morning and the time I don’t :confused: I would have to check what the temp is sitting at rn. pH is currently 8.1.
You can do h202 dip. 150ppm for 30 minutes. 20ml of 3% per gallon I believe. Helps treat flukes and relieve. Wrasse do great in h202. I don’t waste time with fw anymore

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabby48 @Lost in the Sauce
1673382266202.jpeg

The red circles are where I see faint blothches. The blue circle pin points the eye as there seems to be things on it and darker than normal. The right side is worse.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a magnifier?

A fw dip would help you positively id flukes as the (an) issue but MOST flukes cannot be seen with the nakid eye so need a magnifier to check the water after a dip.
I have a magnifier with a light that may help. Will get a picture. I may do the dip later in the day or tomorrow.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do h202 dip. 150ppm for 30 minutes. 20ml of 3% per gallon I believe. Helps treat flukes and relieve. Wrasse do great in h202. I don’t waste time with fw anymore
Will this one work?
1673382570612.jpeg

1673382615302.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back