Lost my scooter blenny

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came home today to find my nassarius snails munching away on the scooter blenny

I Got him just over a month ago, lfs said he eats frozen and pods ( I didn’t ask to see him eat, now I know why I should of) but then again frozen barley gets to the floor as the other fish get to it quick.

I did ask about pods as I’ve never seen any in my tank but was informed a 6 month old tank should already have some. The scooter was always picking through the sand and swimming around until this week so I tried to feed some pellets next to it but that didn’t work.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of pods, you should be able to see several if you have a well established population, they may be tiny but they are still pretty easy to spot on the glass.

Sorry for your loss, scooter dragonets may be a bit bland compared to other dragonets but they are still pretty cool fish :(

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I am in the same predicament as you, my LFS told me the scooter blenny I purchased was being fed solely frozen and I wouldn't need a large pod population, just some, I believed them. After purchasing it and trying some frozen I quickly realized this was not the case. After soaking the frozen in garlic I was able to get him eating but I wasn't satisfied and after doing some more research I Ended up flooding my tank with pods and add more weekly even though I can see plenty on any given basis. He still eats frozen as long as it's moving in the current but I make sure there are plenty of pods around regardless. Now I don't believe a word my LFS says unfortunately:/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to buy pods at shops near me and they are sold out. When asked when more are coming in I'm told they don't know, which is annoying.
Mine was constantly picking through the sand so assumed he was eating fine. Any food that happened to land near him he wouldnt touch so was quite frustrating.
Definitely have to witness some feeding before buying now, especially for these type of fish

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back