Lost power for 2 days

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all my corals and fish are fine with the temp dropping to 70 degrees.

Some good news is that I just received some Orphek OR3 120s for my tank and they're amazing! I will post photos once I get a good filter for my phone.

OP
OP
dru312

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only circulation was from my tears.... I was thinking of heating up some tank water and stirring but I figured that would do more damage than help with no flow. I think the power went out on a Monday afternoon and back on wed afternoon. So at least 48+ hours with no flow or anything. My UPS ran for approx 30 min (just the return pump) after the power went out.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature swings are survivable, IMO, but it’s hard to survive the inevitable oxygen drop and other changes from lack of circulation.

good job, your tank must be well balanced and/or lightly loaded.

OP
OP
dru312

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water parameters are right on and I keep my temp at 77.7 so I had some cushion. You're correct on my load as I only have 9 fish, 1 crab, some snails and 11 corals in a 220g tank with a 135g sump (35g sump and 100 gal refugium).

OP
OP
dru312

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature swings are survivable, IMO, but it’s hard to survive the inevitable oxygen drop and other changes from lack of circulation.

good job, your tank must be well balanced and/or lightly loaded.
I couldn't check the O2 levels when the power was out and when it went back on I wasn't home. I do know it went back to where it always is 8.2 very quickly but I didn't get to check it at the lowest levels. I will have to check and see if it was recorded in the log.

emilio365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome that everything made it. Power loss as always freaked me out. I was thinking about buying a generator. Specially after these insane Storms that came trough Chicago last week.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back