Lost second yellow headed jawfish...

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 2, now none in my 65 fowler...each time fins are chomped in the AM...I have several hermits and an emerald crab which I have never seen in the months that I have him...I'd like opinions as to who is doing the damage...If necessary, I'll strip the tank and get rid of all crabs...god knows where that ec hangs out...lots of live rock, but if necessary, I'll get him...:(

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen your emerald crab in months, it's almost definitely died (or been eaten). They are very active during the day and not incredibly shy (although it varies from crab to crab).

Where'd you get your live rock from?

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen your emerald crab in months, it's almost definitely died (or been eaten). They are very active during the day and not incredibly shy (although it varies from crab to crab).

Where'd you get your live rock from?
I thought they were more nocturnal...the rock is from a local specialty store going under...a friend ...had it for months and I've had it for months...Darryl believes the yhj's starved to death because the tank was about 4 months old with fairly clean sand...not a lot to eat although he did go for food when I fed the tank and did have a cave all of his own...he feels that in a weakened state...something was able to get him...

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They vary, mine is out during the day all the time. But after checking, it seems that some prefer coming out at night.

The only thing that could kill a jaw head (even a weakened one) would be a hitchhiker crab. The emerald wouldn't stand a chance. Possible that they starved all the way to death and then were just eaten by scavengers.

But if you think something is killing something, it's likely a hitchhiker crab.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They vary, mine is out during the day all the time. But after checking, it seems that some prefer coming out at night.

The only thing that could kill a jaw head (even a weakened one) would be a hitchhiker crab. The emerald wouldn't stand a chance. Possible that they starved all the way to death and then were just eaten by scavengers.

But if you think something is killing something, it's likely a hitchhiker crab.
Got hermits...what's a hitchhiker crab?...have a pic?

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits are not going to kill a fish. They'll eat an already dead fish, but they aren't capable of killing a healthy fish.

........ a hitchhiker is a creature that hitchhikes into a tank on live rock. Like you buy the rock and there's a crab hiding inside during collection, so it rides into the tank with the rock. Thus a hitchhiker crab is a crab that likely came with your rock. How long have you been in this hobby?

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits are not going to kill a fish. They'll eat an already dead fish, but they aren't capable of killing a healthy fish.

........ a hitchhiker is a creature that hitchhikes into a tank on live rock. Like you buy the rock and there's a crab hiding inside during collection, so it rides into the tank with the rock. Thus a hitchhiker crab is a crab that likely came with your rock. How long have you been in this hobby?
I know what a hitchhiker is...I suspected you meant a particular type of crab...looked him up...never saw anything like that or any other crab for that matter...I am not a newbie...done fish for nearly 50 years...my present saltwater aquariums near a year...very successful with my 10 IM reef...working on this 65 fowler...don't like being condescended to...like a don't know what a hitcherhiker is...jeez

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, a hitchhiker is not a specific type of crab. However, if you're losing fish and it is because of a crab and not starvation or tank conditions, then it's likely a member of the xanthid family. Mithrax crabs (like emeralds) are capable of killing and eat corals, but not fish.

That said, you won't see a xanthid without a breakdown or some serious night-watching.

All of the crabs you have will scavenge a dead fish. None of them will be able to catch and kill a healthy fish.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, a hitchhiker is not a specific type of crab. However, if you're losing fish and it is because of a crab and not starvation or tank conditions, then it's likely a member of the xanthid family. Mithrax crabs (like emeralds) are capable of killing and eat corals, but not fish.

That said, you won't see a xanthid without a breakdown or some serious night-watching.

All of the crabs you have will scavenge a dead fish. None of them will be able to catch and kill a healthy fish.
Even while they sleep?

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. That's normally how Xanthid (rock crabs) get fish. None of the reef safe hermit crab species get big enough or aggressive enough for that. They'll be the first on the scene for a snack though. If you're finding bodies, it's likely tank conditions or starvation. Most things that would kill a fish for food would eat it or at least most of it. Mostly whole bodies are already dead before scavengers get to it.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't always see the bad ones. Setup a trap to see what you may have. I had a gorilla crab once and I couldn't figure out why I was losing my gobies until I set out a trap and caught the little sap sucker. Never lost another fish. Good luck!

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't always see the bad ones. Setup a trap to see what you may have. I had a gorilla crab once and I couldn't figure out why I was losing my gobies until I set out a trap and caught the little sap sucker. Never lost another fish. Good luck!
a bottle trap as for a fish...or what?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back