Lot #H015 HI 774 reagent problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have gone through several boxes of HI774-25, Lot # H015 and have been getting wonky high results in about 60-70% of the packets in each box, seems to vary by box though.

Before "user or test error" is going to be the "go-to" response.

I work at a coral aquaculture facility and am responsible for daily testing and adjustments of all the systems water chemistry.

I perform at least 15 phosphate tests everyday, sometimes more, I have never had issues with the HI774 or HI736 checkers or the reagents they use.
I am very thorough in testing procedures, using the same unblemished curvettes, clean syringes, no smudges etc etc,
I do love both these instruments, they are wonderful, However, these last few boxes of HI774-25 reagent refills I have used give me wildly inaccurate results, the sample turns dark blue before its even time to take measurement, I get .76 or even "out of range" compared to salifert PO⁴ kits .10 results, I used a new 736 ULR checker and reagent and the results were in the neighborhood of which is in normal expected ranges. I do understand that phosphate and phosphorus results will differ a little bit, but not much after conversion. But not 18ppb on a HI736 and .77 or even .90 (flashing) =out of range on a 774. same when a salifert test is showing me around .1 on the same sample.

I opened a new sample syringe, new curvette, etc etc to ward out possible contamination, its not the checker either, its the reagent, it starts turning dark blue visually when agitating/mixing the sample on systems that normally the hint of blue should barely be registered by the human eye before initiating the colorimeter test.

Did you guys maybe send out a bad batch? could this be caused by extreme temperature exposure during transit ? why would some packets in the same box/roll give me reasonable results where as the majority are obviously defunct/bad?
Again, I have yet to have any problems with your hanna phosphate/phosphorus checkers in the past year, until now. I have ruled out any variables that could have been corrupting the tests.

Please advise

Thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
C. Eymann

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna reached out to me via PM/Email very promptly, while still have not found out why majority of the packets in two boxes of lot015 have had false highs, they went above and beyond by sending us several replacement boxes of reagent from a different lot# that have been giving consistent accurate results.

Excellent communication and great customer service!

A+

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but new Hanna HI774 Phosphate ULR ppm checker arrived with 10 reagent packets from same lot H042.

Tried three packets and all read 0.00 - 0.01 ppm with no perceptible change to the saltwater color after adding the reagent (and shaking lightly for 2 minutes, per directions) so I assume this means I got a REALLY BAD lot of reagent. (Milwaukee test at LFS showed 0.12 ppm a few days ago)

Emailed Hanna so interested to see if I get the same, very good, customer service as you did.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back