Loud Eshopps to Bean Style Overflow Box

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I recently set up a 90 gallon build with bean style overflow.

It’s not like super loud. But it’s not quiet.

Any suggestions would be nice!

94CB62A0-61B3-46FF-A39A-E5FEEDB301EA.jpeg

3F30215A-C695-47B6-AAC5-E9A4EB5D97B9.jpeg

187E645E-0DCF-4F31-93F0-992426B94645.jpeg

880CB643-172C-4443-BBAE-CA3BE15DD262.jpeg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a lid for the overflow box, not air tight just something lose fitting and or vent holes it should help quiet it down.. you can test by just cutting a piece of cardboard or something and placing on the box and if it works for you make one out of plastic.

OP
OP
TheMillennialReefer

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s comes with the cover. I just didn’t have it on for the sake of taking a picture.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure no air is in the primary full siphon. Close the valve in on that line until is it steady full siphon and just a trickle going down the secondary.

If the secondary is more than a small trickle it will be loud and means open the valve to let more water in the primary drain.

The balance between too much and not enough flow in the secondary is the main thing to make it silent flow.

Next if the noise is coming from the waterfall between tank and overflow, then you can raise the secondary drain elbows up. This will raise the working water level in the overflow and quiet the water fall over the weir. I think this is your primary problem from looking at the pics.

OP
OP
TheMillennialReefer

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No air was going into the primary. It U remains below the water level.

I didn’t get a picture with the water going but it’s usually right there where I drew the line.

D10DE6EA-2E2A-4376-94B2-BD2914D8BD03.jpeg

OP
OP
TheMillennialReefer

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some extra PVC so I raised it about 1/2”.

I think that might help. I’m going to get another gate valve to try and make sure that anything that does fall through the secondary is just a trickle.

F0F3982F-3F37-452D-A442-A836714F1748.jpeg

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to get another gate valve to try and make sure that anything that does fall through the secondary is just a trickle.

Please don’t do that. Big risk of flood if the primary should plug. Just keep adjusting the primary line gate valve. If the valve is full open and the secondary is still too much flow than lower the return pump flow. Either with a valve on its output or if DC pump reduce its speed.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some extra PVC so I raised it about 1/2”.

I think that might help. I’m going to get another gate valve to try and make sure that anything that does fall through the secondary is just a trickle.

F0F3982F-3F37-452D-A442-A836714F1748.jpeg

If your pipes/drains aren't making the noise, then its the water coming from the overflow through the holes in the tank. I also think you need to raise your secondary and emergency standpipes so the water level in the overflow will be higher than the holes in the tank. Here is a quick demo of the noise of mine.

Capture.PNG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your pipes/drains aren't making the noise, then its the water coming from the overflow through the holes in the tank. I also think you need to raise your secondary and emergency standpipes so the water level in the overflow will be higher than the holes in the tank. Here is a quick demo of the noise of mine.

Capture.PNG

+1 for this. water level in outside box needs to be raised so that the bulkhead holes are under water, your hearing water falling into the inside box and splashing around inside the bulkhead before it enters the outside box :)

OP
OP
TheMillennialReefer

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixed it. Super easy fix. All I had to do was cut the length of the overpipe flow to just below the water level. The main drain wasn’t creating a siphon because it was too deep into the water. So was able to fix it! Now the only noise I hear is the fan of the LEDs

7966B704-A37F-4400-9084-A2616B7848FA.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't help but notice; is your sump is resting directly on your carpet?

OP
OP
TheMillennialReefer

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why's that an issue?

Salt on the carpet, could crack with water in it. Number of other issues that could happen.

My other tanks sump is on the carpet and I’ve had no issues with it. Which is why I won’t move it. In case of a power outage I designed the sump to never have more than 22 gallons in it even with backflow from main tank. So I’m not worried about it. If the sump was full during power than I would be concerned about the bottom glass, not no use stressing over it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt on the carpet, could crack with water in it. Number of other issues that could happen.

My other tanks sump is on the carpet and I’ve had no issues with it. Which is why I won’t move it. In case of a power outage I designed the sump to never have more than 22 gallons in it even with backflow from main tank. So I’m not worried about it. If the sump was full during power than I would be concerned about the bottom glass, not no use stressing over it.

Honestly, I can't think of any reason why it will be an issue. It's just something I haven't seen before and found it unusual.

When I build a system, I've always placed a shelf on the bottom of the stand on which to rest the sump. It just makes sense to me as that shelf, once glued and clamped in place will add an extra layer of stability and prevent the stand from twisting under the weight of the display tank.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else has changed. Changing the drain pipe from 3" below water surface to 1" below surface won't affect the siphon. It would siphon if it's not even in the water. Granted, that would make noise.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 63 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back