LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from previous post that the recipe to make
Phosphate additive from Loudwolf Trisodium Phosphate is:

Per Randy:

1.88grams to 1 L of water will allow 1 mL of solution to raise 100L of water by .01ppm.

What is the equivalent for Loudwolf Sodium Nitrate?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from previous post that the recipe to make
Phosphate additive from Loudwolf Trisodium Phosphate is:

Per Randy:

1.88grams to 1 L of water will allow 1 mL of solution to raise 100L of water by .01ppm.

I use this to make my nitrate...50 grams per 1 liter of RO or Distilled water.

1599762495277.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

well, you wouldn't want to raise NO3 by .01ppm, so...
137g NaNO3 dissolved in 1L water, 1mL of that solution would raise 100L of water by 1ppm NO3.
(I wouldn't make that much stock - I'd do 13.7g NaNO3 in 100mL of water in the first step)

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I knew about that James' Planted Tank site, I wasnt 100% sure how to use but I never ready the instructions. This video was very helpful thank you very much!!!
Its nice because you can mix up the best solution concentration for your needs!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can individually store sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate solutions for as long as you want.. I would not mix them unless its pretty concentrated because algae could grow in it.

Precision is not needed. A factor of 2 is plenty.

OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the very slow response, I just went back to this thread because I needed the recipe for another batch of sodium nitrate.
Bumping an old thread because I'd also like to know this, so I can possibly hook it to a doser. Also what kind of scale is everyone using to measure out the weight? My little digital kitchen scale isn't that accurate.
I use this scale

with this magnetic stirrer

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the ones of us that don't have scales that will measure down to the gram? What about teaspoon or tablespoon to a cup?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LouieP

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the ones of us that don't have scales that will measure down to the gram? What about teaspoon or tablespoon to a cup?

Harry, the scale cost $16.00 so its not the expensive.

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator uses teaspoons and tablespoons:

Just swap out potassium nitrate with sodium nitrate if you’re using sodium nitrate, correct? I just received my loudwolfs sodium nitrate. Getting a phosphate reading of .052ppm (17ppb)

what’s the theory behind the red field ratio? So if I have .052ppm po4 should I reach for .5-1ppm no3? Isn’t redfield basically 16(n):1(p)? So how would you break that down exactly when dealing with low numbers?

Basically what’s the ideal no3/po4 range to shoot for in a mixed frag tank? 1po4 10no3?

*40 gallon aio - no skimmer - uv - .052ppm po4 - 0-1 no3 - one fish - several crabs - so I’m not producing a lot of waste. My main display been up for several years but this frag been up for only 4-6 months. Thanks as usual for your expertise! Since photo was taken added some more acro’s but trying to get rid of some dino. Had a bunch of caulerpa prolifera growing on one rock which I scrubbed off recently which I’m assuming was keeping my no3 down but they’re still down and been a week of scrubbing it off. Trying to get more coloration on some acro’s

B6B2D61D-0E1E-417D-8E42-BCB60C64B3C7.png

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just swap out potassium nitrate with sodium nitrate if you’re using sodium nitrate, correct? I just received my loudwolfs sodium nitrate. Getting a phosphate reading of .052ppm (17ppb)

what’s the theory behind the red field ratio? So if I have .052ppm po4 should I reach for .5-1ppm no3? Isn’t redfield basically 16(n):1(p)? So how would you break that down exactly when dealing with low numbers?

Basically what’s the ideal no3/po4 range to shoot for in a mixed frag tank? 1po4 10no3?

*40 gallon aio - no skimmer - .052ppm po4 - 0-1 no3 - one fish - several crabs - so I’m not producing a lot of waste. My main display been up for several years but this frag been up for only 4-6 months. Thanks as usual for your expertise!

The Redfield ratio is usually misapplied when folks suggest that it indicates appropriate targets for a reef tank. It doesn't.

I'd stick to absolute values, and my suggestions are:

2-10 ppm nitrate
0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate.

Above this range may be better than below it.

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Redfield ratio is usually misapplied when folks suggest that it indicates appropriate targets for a reef tank. It doesn't.

2-10 ppm nitrate

As always - straight to the point! Thanks, exactly what I was looking for

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2-10 ppm nitrate

Good to know too about how RR could be misleading when it comes to trying to figure out accurate levels. If you have time, why do people misunderstand it? Or what’s not good about it that makes it not ideal for reef parameters? Just curious just to learn more. Thanks

btw, just mixed a 20ml of sodium nitrate about to dose 1ml (1.21ppm) a day to get it up to 5ppm see how this goes! Excited to see if this increases coloration and makes the corals happier

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2-10 ppm nitrate

So wait I just noticed on an older post you said if the planted site calls for 1gram of sodium nitrate to use 16% of that. I made a batch of 1 teaspoon in 20ml of water. Whats 16% of 1 teaspoon? How would I measure that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know too about how RR could be misleading when it comes to trying to figure out accurate levels. If you have time, why do people misunderstand it? Or what’s not good about it that makes it not ideal for reef parameters? Just curious just to learn more. Thanks

btw, just mixed a 20ml of sodium nitrate about to dose 1ml (1.21ppm) a day to get it up to 5ppm see how this goes! Excited to see if this increases coloration and makes the corals happier

The Redfield ratio is a fixed N:p ratio that is about found in phytoplankton, and is roughly observed in some ocean areas for the available N and P.

Neither of those facts suggests that a ratio is a good way to think about reef aquarium levels. Organisms uptake of N and P (or anything else) is not controlled by ratio. It is controlled by the actual absolute values.

Suppose that nitrate is 1000 ppm. By a ratio argument, one might say that all will be fine as long as phosphate was at about the Redfield ratio of, say, 88 ppm phosphate?

Or if nitrate (and other N) is very low, at say, 0.001 ppm, does that mean phosphate is best at a redfield ratio of 0.00009 ppm?

Of course both of those are ridiculous examples, but it points out the fallacy of using ratios for targets when there is NEVER a time when using the absolute values for targets is not equally good or better (IMO).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back