Love is in the air...

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
2,318
Reaction score
4,585
Location
West Monroe, LA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we in Louisiana the only ones that have these love bugs like crazy? This is the back gate to the fence of my backyard. They cover the entire top foot and it's about 180' of fence. They almost completely cover the column on my back porch too. Must be tens of thousands of them!!!

IMG_0934.JPG
 
Once upon a time, they existed in such large populations in Florida, rumors began to spread that a University here in Fl created them in a lab to thwart misquitos.

They killed the silver paint on my first cars hood, the first summer I had it.

They eat dead veggie matter so.. good guys? Just annoying!
 
They're attracted to white it seems. Back when I was stationed in St Pete they covered our white ships all the time. Now that I'm back home in LA they seem to cover my white Tacoma every day as soon as I get home from work. Supposedly their life span is super short so hopefully they'll be gone soon. All I can say is good thing they don't bite like mosquitoes!!!!
 
I was driving on I-49 from Alexandria to Shreveport a few weeks ago, and the love bugs were so bad that I had to stop to clean my windshield every hour or two.
 
I was driving on I-49 from Alexandria to Shreveport a few weeks ago, and the love bugs were so bad that I had to stop to clean my windshield every hour or two.
I went from Lake Charles to Shreveport at the same time. Very bad but I refused to stop and clean the windshield. I think the hurricane made it a lot worse in the northern parts of LA. They were almost as bad in Sheveport as they were in south LA and I had never seen them that bad in Shreveport. auto.jpg
 
I live in florida and a few times a year it looks just like your pictures.
 
I'm a bug guy an exterminator to be exact. These guys can spread disease or at least the family of kissing bugs can.

8,000 (2015) Chagas disease, also known as American trypanosomiasis, is a tropical parasitic disease caused by the protist Trypanosoma cruzi. It is spread mostly by insects known as Triatominae or kissing bugs. The symptoms change over the course of the infection.

http://kissingbug.tamu.edu/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new