Low flow areas

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the hunt for another 2k gyre. In the meantime I've got one 2k on one and a MJ1200 equivalent on the other end. It's working for now. Does anyone know if 2 gyres together on opposite ends can simulate a wave type flow?
Anyhow, because of the way they are oriented and the gyre being more powerful there are low flow areas on the side the gyre is on. This is where everything collects and gathers into small piles.
For now I'm contemplating slip fitting the return pipe down one corner and fitting it with a 90* side outlet elbow to run across the back and one short side the gyre is on to help keep snail poop and detritus from gathering in small pools on the sand bed.
Once I get another gyre on the opposite side I should be good to go.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - I have 2 max spect 350's on either side of a 5 foot tank. They are set to ramp from 0 --> 100% over 10 seconds one way - then it starts from the other side. Excellent flow throughout the tank - highly recommended.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Is there a visible "rocking" motion either in the watern, the corals, or both?
it is not a rocking motion. If you look at this link you can see how it looks (YouTube video). This is the Gyre working from one side only. Now - its set with another Gyre - so that when one is on - the other is off. It is ore like a tidal flow in one direction lasting for about 10 seconds, followed by a 10 second tidal flow in the other direction. i.e. when one is on - the other is off. The video just shows the amount of flow produced.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back