Low Iron glass or Regular? Worth it?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tank with whiter lighting so it sounds like I would want the low iron.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low iron is more noticable with a fresh wster setup using 6500k lightining. With our blue/pinkish type of lights i dont see much difference at all between my built in 1982 1.2 thick greenish glass 135 gallon display reef and the acrylic tank with a reef right next to it. And acrylic is as clear as it gets.

The blue color really negates the higher iron glass. But again in fresh water light spectrums its noticable.

Low iron glass trabsmits up to 91% of light. While high iron glass is sbout 83%.

Also whoever said low iron glass is as strong as high iron. Is wrong. High iron glass is stronger. Its also more scratch resistant

Last edited:

Andy305mia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks in a room one low iron and one regular, they have the same light fixtures on them and the low iron is clearer. Once you see the difference you can't unsee it. It's enough I'd say to pay extra, not just for the clarity, but also because low iron tanks are rimless which makes them ALOT better looking than having the black plastic borders. So it's not just the glass you're paying for it's the build itself. As far scratches go, I've had my 16 gallon setup for over a year and not a single scratch. I've scratched my 40 breeder on the other hand. Depends on substrate, decorations, the individual. I'll tell you this much, you'll take better care of the low iron glass just because you paid more lol. Worth the extra money imo, will never go back. Sweet spot between regular glass and acrylic

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...also because low iron tanks are rimless which makes them ALOT better looking than having the black plastic borders. So it's not just the glass you're paying for it's the build itself.

Low-iron glass is and can be used in any style of tank, rimmed or rimless.

I also find the visual difference between low-iron and standard glass to be very readily apparent regardless of lighting. And my glass manufacturer sources tell me there is absolutely no measurable, inherent difference in strength or hardness between the two.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, an engineer at PPG told me the knoop hardness for their low iron was the same as 'regular' glass.
Way back when, I had a 125 gallon, long before low iron was popular and I scratched the daylights out of it-I had no idea how soft glass is. No matter what your tank is made from, you need to be careful.
No regrets with my low iron tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back