Low Iron glass or Regular? Worth it?

gunguy05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after having been out of things for a few years, and only at a small (29 gallon ) level. I'm looking to get back in, and go BIG.

Trying to figure out if the low iron glass is worth it or not. I'm looking at a 150 or 180 gallon. I have seen some of this size range in a store near me and they look CRYSTAL CLEAR> BUT That is all they had in the store other than acrylic, and I'm wondering for those that have had regular and then jumped to starfire/low iron, was it worth the extra expense. I can find used 180 gallon tanks all over the place for around 500 bucks or so, but a starfire is more in the 2k range for a new tank (not too many used ones in my area).

Just wanted to get others thoughts. I want the "look" of this to be right, so I'm leaning toward starfire, but then again, I know the "wall of water" effect will be there reguardless. Also, am I going to have to baby it as far as scratches?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is glass. It will scratch if you are not careful with sand between your cleaning magnet. I have a starfire/low iron glass tank and couldn’t be happier. It is crystal clear. You will forget there is glass if you look hard enough lol. Try to see one in person next to a regular glass aquarium. No comparison. Night and day. If you want it to look right, as you said, go with starfire. :)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm spending the money on a new tank, I want to see EVERYTHING in the tank as clear as possible, so yes, I would definitely budget towards low iron glass.

Considering all the other things we throw money at in this hobby, what's an extra $200-300?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi no opinion ,when you look at the tank you are looking at whats inside it,lot of money ,tank is tank

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do scratch easier but not like an acrylic tank. You dont need special clothes or tools, just be a little more careful near the sand bed, and change out your razor on a regular schedule.
Video comparing the three main tank types clarity.
Fwiw you dont notice as much on a reef tank as you do with freshwater tanks as long as the tank uses 1/2” or less thick glass. Just the nature of the light wavelengths we use.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfire vs regular
The thicker regular glass gets, viewing gets greener
Starfire glass scratches easier than regular glass
Starfire glass is weaker than regular glass

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first freshwater tank was 'normal glass' which was fine but then I upgraded it and got a low iron tank, the difference was clear to see (excuse pun).its definitely worth paying the extra for low iron glass. If you buy normal tank glass and then see a low iron tank you will instantly regret not buying a low iron glass tank.
Scratches happen on any glass, just be careful, you don't have to be any more careful just because its low iron

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron in the glass is what strengthens the glass according to a glass shop I engaged to buy glass from. Ask around to any glass shop.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron in the glass is what strengthens the glass according to a glass shop I engaged to buy glass from. Ask around to any glass shop.
Whether that is true or not I don't know so cannot comment on it but even if it is true then it doesn't make that much difference as a tank is built to withstand the pressure of an xx amount of water.

Jordan Parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the ultimate clear experience and aren't afraid of scratches, go with acrylic, the transparency is second to none. Just don't get cheap acrylic and you won't have to worry about scratching it just from looking at it the wrong way.

But, having said that, low iron is the way to go when your glass thickness exceeds a 1/2".

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether that is true or not I don't know so cannot comment on it but even if it is true then it doesn't make that much difference as a tank is built to withstand the pressure of an xx amount of water.
Yes, I agree. My tank is low-iron glass.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will merely leave this here...

Vitro is the company that took over PPG's glazing line.

I see no physical difference in tensile strength or hardness between 'clear' glass and low-iron glass. Both tend to exhibit the same properties, can be chemically and thermally strengthened, and are manufactured in the same processes with different materials.

I would question your glass shop as to where they obtained their information from.

OP
OP
gunguy05

gunguy05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first freshwater tank was 'normal glass' which was fine but then I upgraded it and got a low iron tank, the difference was clear to see (excuse pun).its definitely worth paying the extra for low iron glass. If you buy normal tank glass and then see a low iron tank you will instantly regret not buying a low iron glass tank.
Scratches happen on any glass, just be careful, you don't have to be any more careful just because its low iron
This is what I was wondering.. I don't want to regret it because the clarity isn't there with thr normal. My wife is reluctant about the upfront cost, but I told her that we are going for that "look" / clarity of the LI glass.. So unless we get that right none of the rest of it matters.

SCA has a 150 on sale right now that I'm staring hard at (1k). All the 180's I see are significantly higher.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm spending the money on a new tank, I want to see EVERYTHING in the tank as clear as possible, so yes, I would definitely budget towards low iron glass.

Considering all the other things we throw money at in this hobby, what's an extra $200-300?
For a tank my size getting starfire over regular glass added about $1000 to the cost... (which was over 25%)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back