Low ph help

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update — as you can see, before & after CO2 media replacement last night. I’m now hitting the peak at 8.4’ish. This stuff does work!

Attachments

• IMG_5841.png
    IMG_5841.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before we jump into the deep end and conclude that a low ph of 7.8 was the leading cause of coral death, can you please share water parameters? What were the big three and more importantly, N&P? If your N&P bottomed out, I suspect that they were likely suspects vs “low” ph.
Phosphate is at .03 ppm (hanna ulr)
Nitrates at 23.1ppm (hanna)
Alk at 9dkh
Calcium at 445 neptune trident
Magnesium at 1350

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is at .03 ppm (hanna ulr)
Nitrates at 23.1ppm (hanna)
Alk at 9dkh
Calcium at 445 neptune trident
Magnesium at 1350
That is very interesting— your params look like fine to me. Was there a spike in Alk? I’ve lost SPS due to Alk spike and/or zero nutrients but not low pH.

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very interesting— your params look like fine to me. Was there a spike in Alk? I’ve lost SPS due to Alk spike and/or zero nutrients but not low pH.
Alk never over 9.1 but sometimes at night it will hit around 8.8_ 8.5 the lowest I have changed over night dosing to help with that drop it's been closer to 8.8

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do you use to dose alk cal mag?

ToxicMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a few things for raising pH. Kalkwasser dosed overnight, recirculating Co2 scrubber on the skimmer, reverse lighting my fuge, and trying to keep doors and windows open as much as possible. I'm definitely noticing the difference to my corals who are loving the pH boost.

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaRx — super low maintenance! Yes, pH takes a small hit hence I counter-balance using recirculating CO2 scrubbing. Mag is manually dosed twice/year. I’ll put Mg media next time I top off CaRx media
Is Carx is expensive to set up?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Carx is expensive to set up?
I have a GEO CaRx — when coupled with a decent regulator and reliable peristaltic pump, things are super consistent and with little/no touch - for months! Just need to put more media — depending on your SPS/Coralline algae consumption — once a year maybe?

Yes, high initial upfront cost but cheaper long term. The huge benefit for me was the maintenance — I suppose my time might worth more than mixing jugs of 2-part and/or kalk. Been there, done that — ain’t doing that no more! lol

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpeg
    IMG_3671.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 29

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with keeping Ph above 8, its usually 7.7-7.8, U run my alk at 9ish, My corals dont seem to care although I think higher PH will give me better growth

Attachments

• IMG_8711.jpeg
    IMG_8711.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 26

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with keeping Ph above 8, its usually 7.7-7.8, U run my alk at 9ish, My corals dont seem to care although I think higher PH will give me better growth
Have you tried recirculating CO2 scrubber? It will definitely boost your pH. You can also try sucking in outside air or vent your house, but only get marginal results. Dripping Kalk will also help since its pH is 12.4 but it will raise Alk and Ca.

To me -/ the cleanest and best solution is CO2 scrubber. Good luck

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GEO CaRx — when coupled with a decent regulator and reliable peristaltic pump, things are super consistent and with little/no touch - for months! Just need to put more media — depending on your SPS/Coralline algae consumption — once a year maybe?

Yes, high initial upfront cost but cheaper long term. The huge benefit for me was the maintenance — I suppose my time might worth more than mixing jugs of 2-part and/or kalk. Been there, done that — ain’t doing that no more! lol
Doesn't it requir a co2 tank

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 canister is "cheap" -- I think $18'ish(?) that should last me a year. I get mine from a local beer brewer when I swap out beer for my kegerator, which is almost every month/two! lol
Can you send me a picture of complete set up? What kind of pump is used to pump the water

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back