Low ph help

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for over 2 years. I have a neptune system that said the ph was 8.2 but then I lost 2-3 corals and I did all the manual testing then re calibrated the ph probe and it reads 7.8 it's back to 8 from changing the co2 scrubber media but is there anything else I can use to prevent it from dropping. I use red sea products for dosing.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that will help without raising alkalinity is letting your house air out.. running a skimmer line outside don’t do much I’ve been dealing with this issue myself.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase oxygen in the room by opening a window, and then turn on a fan in the room.

What is your Alkalinity in the tank?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk Is at 8.8 right now
Calcium is 416
Is ph balance oh a product?
Yes it’s a product.
Calcium needs to be higher and when using any PH buffer it will raise your ALK so you would need to keep an eye on that if you plan to use a PH buffer. Since your calcium needs to be raised it should level out your alk around 9/10 while dosing PH buffers
Calcium ions play a major roll with PH levels. Keep your calcium at 450-500.
I push for 500 in my reef tank

IMG_4758.jpeg

Last edited:

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the recirculating Co2 scrubber with the three way solenoid valve. When Ph reaches 8.3 the solenoid turns valve to fresh air.

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s a product.
Calcium needs to be higher and when using any PH buffer it will raise your ALK so you would need to keep an eye on that if you plan to use a PH buffer. Since your calcium needs to be raised it should level out your alk around 9/10 while dosing PH buffers
Calcium ions play a major roll with PH levels. Keep your calcium at 450-500.
I push for 500 in my reef tank

IMG_4758.jpeg
Should I try raising the calcium before using the buffer

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try raising the calcium before using the buffer
It wouldn’t matter the order of dosing. Just go light on the PH booster, dose it gradually. I have my dosing pump set up 10ml a day, split between 50 doses 0.20ml
If you choose to use OH Balance make sure you dose in a high flow area of the tank or mix it in because it doesn’t mix very well on its own.
I dose mine directly to sump with a high power wave maker inside the sump aiming at dosing area
IMG_4759.jpeg

Last edited:

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase oxygen in the room by opening a window, and then turn on a fan in the room.

What is your Alkalinity in the tank?
Oxygen doesn't corelate to CO2 concentration, but this is still true that airing out the room will absolutely decrease the CO2 in the tank.

You can have high O2 and high CO2, it's not the oxygen, but the reduction in concentration of CO2 in the air.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn’t matter the order of dosing. Just go light on the PH booster, dose it gradually. I have my dosing pump set up 10ml a day, split between 50 doses 0.20ml
If you choose to use OH Balance make sure you dose in a high flow area of the tank or mix it in because it doesn’t mix very well on its own.
I dose mine directly to sump with a high power wave maker inside the sump aiming at dosing area
IMG_4759.jpeg
Or you can just get some sodium hydroxide which I’m positive that’s what that is, for Pennie’s on the dollar and have about 15 gallons of super saturated alk supplement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4759.jpeg
How long have you been using the balance OH for?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been using the balance OH for?
3 months, I switched from a different product which was throwing my Alk out of whack. OH balance isn’t suppose to affect Alk but it does a little. So if your PH is already sitting at 7.8-8.0 and your aiming for 8.2-8.4 depending on size of tank you would only need about 5ml starting which shouldn’t affect your Alk that much

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months, I switched from a different product which was throwing my Alk out of whack. OH balance isn’t suppose to affect Alk but it does a little. So if your PH is already sitting at 7.8-8.0 and your aiming for 8.2-8.4 depending on size of tank you would only need about 5ml starting which shouldn’t affect your Alk that much
The whole system is 135gallons.

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole system is 135gallons.
How long have you been in the hobby

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't be concerned about the pH especially if it's at 8. However - you could consider using saturated Kalkwasser as your replacement water - which will help with alkalinity, Ca and to a degree pH.

The main cause of a low pH is high Carbon dioxide in the room - ie. if you have your windows closed, if you have a large party, etc.

OP
OP
J

Jphvav90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years and going strong :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Definitely frustrating sometimes
I wouldn't be concerned about the pH especially if it's at 8. However - you could consider using saturated Kalkwasser as your replacement water - which will help with alkalinity, Ca and to a degree pH.

The main cause of a low pH is high Carbon dioxide in the room - ie. if you have your windows closed, if you have a large party, etc.
I live in ny I can't keep them open all year round I have a c02 scrubber but that might not be enough

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back