OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long shot - check PH of water tank outside the tank. Just pour to a glass and test outside the tank to eliminate that stray voltage and magnetic things.

I also struggled with PH and what I did is to suck fresh air from outside the house to skimmer inlet. That was it in my case and corals appreciated it in a week. Huge difference in a growth. It jumped from 7.8 to 8.2.
I did that test at it was exactly the same.

Do you consistently feed your skimmer air from outside? How long did it take for you to go from 7.8 to 8.2? If I have to go that route I could probably only do it during daytime hours. Still waiting to see if this CO2 Scrubber will get me any higher.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH update:

Apex 7.81
Salifert 8.0 - 8.1
Tetra EasyStrips 7.8 - 8.4
Red Gonipora: Unhappy

SmartSelect_20220622-133648_APEX Fusion.jpg 20220622_133417.jpg 20220622_133609.jpg 20220622_134143.jpg

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Seachem Reef Buffer PH 8.3 Today.

Here is the instructions:
"Use 5 g (1 level teaspoon) for every 150 L (40 US gallons) to raise pH by about 0.1 pH units (this will also raise alkalinity by about 0.5 meq/L). For precise dosing, use the Seachem Digital Spoon Scale. Dissolve in at least 250 mL (one cup) of freshwater, then add to the tank. The pH of natural sea water is 8.25–8.30. In a well established reef system pH adjustment may be necessary biweekly to semiweekly. "

I under dosed just to be safe. I used 5 Teaspoons (my tank is ~65 Gallons). I did not dose Alkalinity Today because I knew it was a chance that I'd test this. My Alkalinity was down from 12 dkh to 11.3 dkh at the time I dosed this stuff.

If this stuff works I should get my first 8.0 PH reading via the probe (or close to it).

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Use 5 g (1 level teaspoon) for every 150 L (40 US gallons) to raise pH by about 0.1 pH units (this will also raise alkalinity by about 0.5 meq/L). For precise dosing, use the Seachem Digital Spoon Scale. Dissolve in at least 250 mL (one cup) of freshwater, then add to the tank. The pH of natural sea water is 8.25–8.30. In a well established reef system pH adjustment may be necessary biweekly to semiweekly. "

I under dosed just to be safe. I used 5 Teaspoons (my tank is ~65 Gallons). I did not dose Alkalinity Today because I knew it was a chance that I'd test this. My Alkalinity was down from 12 dkh to 11.3 dkh at the time I dosed this stuff.

If this stuff works I should get my first 8.0 PH reading via the probe (or close to it).
That stuff is just sodium bicarbonate and trace elements. Them calling it reef buffer 8.3 is a marketing ploy. It will not raise your pH to 8.3, it is pH 8.3 when mixed with water. It can actually have a slight pH reducing effect.

Sodium carbonate (soda ash) or sodium hydroxide, or calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser) are the methods for increasing pH with 2 part (dose based on alkalinity not pH). Hydroxide has the higher benefit and carbonate helps a bit.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that test at it was exactly the same.

Do you consistently feed your skimmer air from outside? How long did it take for you to go from 7.8 to 8.2? If I have to go that route I could probably only do it during daytime hours. Still waiting to see if this CO2 Scrubber will get me any higher.
I run skimmer 24/7. The change was after like 12h.

If I were you I would slow down little bit. You are making too many changes in a short period of time. Reef tank doesn't like such changes.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This whole experience has made rethink investing in more Neptune gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Reef Buffer 8.3 only works if you have a lower Alk (around 7dkh) and you want to raise your PH. This stuff will sky rocket your Alk so if you run a higher Alk like myself then this is a no go. I'll be looking for a different solution.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Reef Buffer 8.3 only works if you have a lower Alk (around 7dkh) and you want to raise your PH. This stuff will sky rocket your Alk so if you run a higher Alk like myself then this is a no go. I'll be looking for a different solution.
Lol that’s what I was saying it it not gunna work. And even if you start out with low alkalinity eventually your alkalinity will climb to 12+and your pH will continue to go down you will need more buffer but have no more room on top of the alkalinity you already have

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone has already said shame on them for calling it an 8.3 ph buffer But hey they tricked you into buying the product how many more people do you think they also tricked

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone has already said shame on them for calling it an 8.3 ph buffer But hey they tricked you into buying the product how many more people do you think they also tricked
These companies make mine off the re-up (continued use) . Needless to say I will not be re-uping lol

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I think it's safe to say the CO2 Scrubber will not get me within range by itself.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to go the Kalkwasser in the auto top off route cause I don't think that's a solution either.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to go the Kalkwasser in the auto top off route cause I don't think that's a solution either.
Yes I went through all these same steps and then $4000 later I installed an ERV system in the house and now my pH is solid 8.3 to 8.5 daily

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure will do the same thing to an extent. And for that price it’s worth a shot just to test. But almost would be same as just opening the window.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back