Low ph in cycling tank

ngservet5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I started a 20 gallon Waterbox cube approximately 2 weeks ago and I am currently going through the fish less cycle process using Dr Tim’s One and Only along with their Ammonium Chloride. The cycle is still ongoing at this time but I noticed my ph was 7.7. I have read that this shouldn’t be a concern at this point? And if so what could be causing this to be so low? I have tons of circulation and planning to use the Tropic Marin Reef salt. Will my first water change help the ph rise?

Thanks,
Nick

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Don't worry about pH at the moment. It's common in the nitrification process (first step of tank cycling), the conversion from ammonium to nitrite then to nitrate will release hydrogen ions (H+), therefore increase acidity. No need to do water change or dosing anything. Let mother nature do the best for the tank.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also take note of where your tank is. Mine is in the basement and there’s a higher concentration of CO2 down there which will impact pH. I run my skimmer 24/7 and have a power head angled up to increase agitation to help level it out. Also pay attention to WHEN you test. Testing at night when everyone is sleeping or during the day when everyone is up and about, running around the house can yield different results.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back