Low ph in cycling tank

ngservet5

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Messages
109
Reaction score
23
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I started a 20 gallon Waterbox cube approximately 2 weeks ago and I am currently going through the fish less cycle process using Dr Tim’s One and Only along with their Ammonium Chloride. The cycle is still ongoing at this time but I noticed my ph was 7.7. I have read that this shouldn’t be a concern at this point? And if so what could be causing this to be so low? I have tons of circulation and planning to use the Tropic Marin Reef salt. Will my first water change help the ph rise?

Thanks,
Nick
 
Welcome to R2R.

Don't worry about pH at the moment. It's common in the nitrification process (first step of tank cycling), the conversion from ammonium to nitrite then to nitrate will release hydrogen ions (H+), therefore increase acidity. No need to do water change or dosing anything. Let mother nature do the best for the tank.
 
Also take note of where your tank is. Mine is in the basement and there’s a higher concentration of CO2 down there which will impact pH. I run my skimmer 24/7 and have a power head angled up to increase agitation to help level it out. Also pay attention to WHEN you test. Testing at night when everyone is sleeping or during the day when everyone is up and about, running around the house can yield different results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new