Low phosphate issues

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a larger reef that I’ve been having low phosphate levels.
nitrates have been in the 15-20 range but phosphate is always tough to stay readable. 2 days ago I was at .04, today is zero. I feed heavy ( 5x’s a day with 5 cubes of frozen each feeding) on top of that I usually dose ReefRoids (1-2 teaspoons) 3-4 times a week and Neophos if below .05 I usually test nitrates and phosphate daily simply because levels can bottom out overnight. I also dose 3 liquid coral foods and Acropower at least 3-4 times a week. Perhaps I’m looking too far into this but I certainly don’t want nutrient levels to bottom out. Any suggestions?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of what you're adding will raise PO4, but some of those are mostly Nitrogen additives, so they might cause your system do draw down PO4 lower.

ksir17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same situation as you, I just picked up NeoPhos to try out but haven't gotten around to use it yet. How has that worked for you? Does it just bring up the phosphates for a little then they drop back close to 0 shortly after?

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same situation as you, I just picked up NeoPhos to try out but haven't gotten around to use it yet. How has that worked for you? Does it just bring up the phosphates for a little then they drop back close to 0 shortly after?
Well in my case it seems to be short lived. However if the above comment is correct then maybe I’m not adding the correct things.
I would like more info on what things are helping and what things are not.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of what you're adding will raise PO4, but some of those are mostly Nitrogen additives, so they might cause your system do draw down PO4 lower.
What do you think is nitrogen and actually lowering phosphate?

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting normal Algae growth? Do the corals look good? If they are don’t worry about the numbers. Sounds like you are introducing plenty of nutrients and you aren’t going to zero out your n03/p04.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background would help the experts (((not me))) -- tank age and started with dry rock/sand, etc?
*seems fairly common for dry rock to bind/absorb/whatever significant PO4 for quite a bit of time

FWIW, seems fairly common for truly 0 PO4 to promote dino outbreak so maybe just consider that
*maybe none of that applies to you but don't know so just a reminder

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background would help the experts (((not me))) -- tank age and started with dry rock/sand, etc?
*seems fairly common for dry rock to bind/absorb/whatever significant PO4 for quite a bit of time

FWIW, seems fairly common for truly 0 PO4 to promote dino outbreak so maybe just consider that
The tank is 3 years old started with Marco rock. About 6 months ago I pulled that and replaced with Caribsea arch rock.
I’ve had Dino’s and ulva algaes in the past but currently things have balanced out.
corals look pretty good and are growing.
zero phosphate makes me nervous. Thus the reason I’m asking.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose 3 liquid coral foods and Acropower at least 3-4 times a week.
Acropower is amino acids - Nitrogen and Carbon. I'd expect consumption of that to lower PO4 by some amount. Not sure what your other "liquid coral foods" are. If they are heavy in N or C or both, they might do the same?

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a Hannah Ultra Low to measure the po4 levels? If not, then don't sweat this until you get one. Even then 1 to 3 ppb of po4 is more than enough. Your corals can get phosphorous from other sources that you cannot test for and po4 is the least useful form. If your po4 is low, then it is likely getting bound up in the rock and sand.

Edit: you could conisder stopping all of those products and just feed the fish more. Fish will like you better. Corals will be happier with fish waste instead of stuff from a bottle. Everybody is happier except for Brightwell.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a Hannah Ultra Low to measure the po4 levels? If not, then don't sweat this until you get one. Even then 1 to 3 ppb of po4 is more than enough. Your corals can get phosphorous from other sources that you cannot test for and po4 is the least useful form. If your po4 is low, then it is likely getting bound up in the rock and sand.

Edit: you could conisder stopping all of those products and just feed the fish more. Fish will like you better. Corals will be happier with fish waste instead of stuff from a bottle. Everybody is happier except for Brightwell.
Lol! Good point!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do choose to dose phosphate, I would avoid Neophos (expensive and of unknown purity).

Better, IMO, is food grade sodium phosphate. Loudwolf is a fine brand.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like randy suggested i would dose. In a tank as large as yours (how many gallons?) neo phos is very diluted so it would take a LOT to make any difference. Use what randy suggested.

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 cubes, 5 times a day, plus all those products? How many gallons is this tank? And how is it stocked? Seems a lot. Perhaps you're not getting accurate tests.....

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8 month old, 50gal total volume tank with about 7 fish, and handful of different inverts, and 2 small coral frags. I have to dose NeoPhos about a mL per day to keep the phosphates measurable on my Hanna ULR checker.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you do choose to dose phosphate, I would avoid Neophos (expensive and of unknown purity).

Better, IMO, is food grade sodium phosphate. Loudwolf is a fine brand.
I tried to bring my numbers up with neonitro and neophos. I'm almost positive that the neophos killed almost all my SPS. Things were going great, encrusting and all. Just had 0/0 on No3/Po4. Started dosing 5ml in 100g daily. 2 weeks later everything was gone.

From the onset they all started stress slimming when I used it. Just assumed they were getting used to it. But it just kept going downhill. Stopped dosing Neophos and things are turning around well.

All my test kits would still always show 0 Po4 even. Finally got a hanna ulr and now see my Po4 at .06-.10 usually.

I can't say it for sure was neophos but I'm saying it was the cause in my case lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back