Low RPM return pump for NPS system

Gaufl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!
I recently came across the DyMiCo system which is designed to keep a living population of zooplankton and phytoplankton in the water column.
With this system (which is designed for larger public systems), even some of the more demanding NPS seem to be possible.

One part if the system is a "low RPM" return pump which reduces mechanical stress on the plankton particles.

Is there any small scale low RPM return pump that could be used for such an application?

Thank you in advance!
Greetings,
Flo

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any link to info on this DyMiCo system? As far as the pump goes, do the new DC controllable return pumps slow down enough without too much flow loss to work? Sounds interesting.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically vague on how it is supposed to work, while claiming 'fantastic' benefits. There was a system commercialized back in the nineties claiming to be less injurious to plankton that used a large pair of diaphragm pumps. I almost bought one until I saw, and more importantly heard, it working at a reef show. Sounded like somebody continuously plunging a toilet …. no thanks! Don't think they sold many and didn't last very long.

Agree that the best way to reduce sheer inside the pump volute would be to run a large DC pump at a low setting. I've never seen any studies about the impact of sheer on plankton, but I did experiment with running live brine shrimp through my pump years back and most survived.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back