OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, I dosed sulphate as described above and it is now back up to level, however a word of caution so others don't make the same mistake as I did, as advised my salinity levels will increase as I dose Na2SO4 I corrected for this by removing tank water and allowing my ATO to replace with RODI, however I forgot about the the reduction in CA and Mg that will happen as well, now these levels are low, easy enough to correct but worth thinking about if you have to correct your sulphate levels, not only monitor salinity but Ca and Mg.... now going to use MgSuplhate instead of MgCl so hopefully levels will all balance out

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Thanks for the update. :)

Got back my Triton result (about one year without waterchanges). I knew my sulphure will be off, I was just curious by how much.

My sodium and sulphur levels are below NSW:
Na 10012.00 mg/l 10700.00 mg/l -688.00
S
550.00 mg/l 900.00 mg/l -350.00

Based on your previous email, 100ppm sulphur (S) corresponds to 300 ppm sulphate (SO4--) (sulphate’s weight is 3 times more tan sulphur’s weight).

In order to raise 100ppm sulphur, need to add 300/0.676 = 443 mg/liter Na2SO4, which is 0.443 gr/aquarium water liter.

Since I need to raise 350 ppm (3.5 times more) and have 400 liter aquarium, I need to dose 0.443*3.5*400=620gr of Na2SO4, right?

Q1: in how much RO water should I dillute the 620gr of sodium-sulphate?
Q2: what should be the daily maximum dosing amount?
Q3: by how much will this amount raise my sodium level?

Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes no difference how much water you dissolve it in.

How pure is it? That impacts how much I'd add at once.

The sodium will rise, but substantially less than the sulfate so its nothing to worry about. Salinity will rise too, so if you dilute back to your normal target, everything will drop a little.

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. If I did not misunderstood your post, only impurities in the na2so4 will determine how much can be dosed, I can raise sulphur by 350ppm at once.

My concern, question was if there is any recommended maximum daily ppm raise/change that should not be exceeded (like in case if other ions).

Thanks

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, thanks for your help.

Another question. If I might choose to raise sulphate with magnesium-sulphate, a 100ppm raise in magnesium, by how much will raise the sulphate (and sulphur)?

So I have a 100 g (400 L) tank, my S is 550 mg/L. If I add 400 gr (395 gr to be precise) MgSO4, will raise my magnesium by 100ppm. How much will my S (sulphur) be?

In your article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php) I found that 100ppm raise in magnesium will boost sulphate by 15% (by using MgSO4). Will this also mean it will raise sulphur by 15% as well? Kind of lost here...

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium sulfate has 3.95 times as much sulfate as magnesium, so a 100 ppm boost to magnesium boosts sulfate by 395 ppm (sulfur by 132 ppm). :)

Sulfate (SO4--) weighs much more than just the sulfur in it. That's the reason for the 395 vs 132.

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium sulfate has 3.95 times as much sulfate as magnesium, so a 100 ppm boost to magnesium boosts sulfate by 395 ppm (sulfur by 132 ppm). :)

Sulfate (SO4--) weighs much more than just the sulfur in it. That's the reason for the 395 vs 132.

Thanks Randy!

ds38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I wasn't aware of a triton additive, I'll look into that. Does anyone know the role and importance of sulphur?

S: We have detected a lack of sulphur.
A sulfate dosage may have the following advantages for your aquarium:
- Helps the coral to build it`s skeleton
- Can promote LPS / SPS coloring and growth
To restore the natural value, please refer to our recommended dosage.
S: We recommend the corrective dosage be carried out over 10 days. For the first 9 days the daily dosage should be 284ml. On the last day please use 123.63ml.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To restore the natural value, please refer to our recommended dosage.
S: We recommend the corrective dosage be carried out over 10 days. For the first 9 days the daily dosage should be 284ml. On the last day please use 123.63ml.

That info comes from where? I'm skeptical, and the fact that someone selling a supplement to "fix" the problem makes the claim does not make it true.

I have not seen any evidence on the importance of specific sulfate levels to those attributes.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank triton for that, directly from there evaluation under dose

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank triton for that, directly from there evaluation under dose

I'll thank them if and when they provide evidence other than an unsupported assertion. :)

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Could you please help me..

I have purchased triton's sulphate: https://shop.dejongmarinelife.nl/catalog/product/view/id/53309/s/sulphate-1000-g/category/2/

The box does not say what kind of sulphate it is / no chemical descripition of content.

I have a sulfur value of 740 when it should be 976.. so I'm missing 236 mg/L.

Is it possible to calculate how much I need of this powder to raise my levels?
(I've tried to calculate using previous comments in this tread and I end up with 13960 gram's in my 2000 liter system). Could that be correct?

What if I put aside the Triton Sulphate and want to use MgSO4 instead, how much would be necessary to add to the aquarium?
(my calculations: Who am I trying to fool I cant calculate that :) )

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Could you please help me..

I have purchased triton's sulphate: https://shop.dejongmarinelife.nl/catalog/product/view/id/53309/s/sulphate-1000-g/category/2/

The box does not say what kind of sulphate it is / no chemical descripition of content.

I have a sulfur value of 740 when it should be 976.. so I'm missing 236 mg/L.

Is it possible to calculate how much I need of this powder to raise my levels?
(I've tried to calculate using previous comments in this tread and I end up with 13960 gram's in my 2000 liter system). Could that be correct?

What if I put aside the Triton Sulphate and want to use MgSO4 instead, how much would be necessary to add to the aquarium?
(my calculations: Who am I trying to fool I cant calculate that :) )

Have you followed these links to see te recommended Triton dose?

• Fix - Any issues in the report will be Red indicating a problem. By clicking on the Help and Dose tabs, they will advise how to correct the problem along with the solution and volume needed to be dosed.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you followed these links to see te recommended Triton dose?

• Fix - Any issues in the report will be Red indicating a problem. By clicking on the Help and Dose tabs, they will advise how to correct the problem along with the solution and volume needed to be dosed.

Thank you for answering.

I cant follow them since I'm not a triton user.. the ICP test is done by ATI. Only Triton Sulphate powder since I couldnt find anything else.

Earlier today I talked to a person who had low sulfur and he's a Triton user.. he told me that instructions on the page only was refered in ML... since the sell sulphate in liquid form.

I bought powder since I usually mix my own chemicals/Balling. But cant find any instructions on the net on how to mix it and since the box doesnt specify content I dont now what to do.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for answering.

I cant follow them since I'm not a triton user.. the ICP test is done by ATI. Only Triton Sulphate powder since I couldnt find anything else.

Earlier today I talked to a person who had low sulfur and he's a Triton user.. he told me that instructions on the page only was refered in ML... since the sell sulphate in liquid form.

I bought powder since I usually mix my own chemicals/Balling. But cant find any instructions on the net on how to mix it and since the box doesnt specify content I dont now what to do.

My expectation is that it is mostly or completely sodium sulfate.

What is the sulfur level in your aquarium, and did ICP report a salinity?

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My expectation is that it is mostly or completely sodium sulfate.

What is the sulfur level in your aquarium, and did ICP report a salinity?

Sulfur in my aquarium is 740.1 mg/l.

Ati ref value against salinity (36,56 PSU) is at 976,2 mg/l.

That means I need to add 236,1 mg/l into my 2000 liter system.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read somewhere in this tread that:

In order to raise sulphate by 1000 ppm and in the process raising sulfur with 333 ppm in 100 gallons of water one would need 555 grams of dry sodium sulfate.

In my head that means the following.

555 gram / 378 liter= 1,468 gram/liter,
Increases 100 gallons (378 liters) with 333 ppm.

That's an increase of 1,13 ppm/liter.

Could I assume that 1,468 gram/liter increases 1,13 ppm/liter and simply divide my demand: 236 / 1,13 ppm = 208,84 and multiply with the needed weight: 208,84 x 1,468 = 306,5 gram in total to raise my sulfur 236 mg/l.

or am I thinking and understanding this completely wrong?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back