Low Tank Temperatures

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days ago I accidentally unplugged my heater thinking it was another peace of equipment. This morning the water felt quite cold... I checked the temperature and it showed 68 degrees.The day before it felt a little cold but not as cold as it was this morning, That was the dead give away that something was wrong. I immediately cranked the heater up and it has risen to about 75 degrees. Corals seem well for the most part. Inverts and fish doing well. Anything I should be concerned about? Bacteria death etc. ?

Nigel

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days ago I accidentally unplugged my heater thinking it was another peace of equipment. This morning the water felt quite cold... I checked the temperature and it showed 68 degrees.The day before it felt a little cold but not as cold as it was this morning, That was the dead give away that something was wrong. I immediately cranked the heater up and it has risen to about 75 degrees. Corals seem well for the most part. Inverts and fish doing well. Anything I should be concerned about? Bacteria death etc. ?

Nigel
Should be OK.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 68 is low, but not too low. To my knowledge things really start to take a turn for the worse when You get into 55 or under. But personally I have never dealt with temps that low. Good luck and good catch! Looks like you got it in time. Take care and happy reefing.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. I don't run a heater (my sump is in the garage and I live in FL.) I have always gone on the philosophy that the Gulf is sure not 80 degrees in December either. I have never had any issues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back