'Low tech' 5 gallon reef?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am curious...is it possible to have a 'low tech' 5 gallon reef, with only occasional water changes? Here is what I was thinking of doing;

Filter - 80 GPH internal filter. As I was planning on the live rock doing most of the biological filtration, I was going to reserve the filter for activated carbon (or a synthetic equivalent) and mechanical filtration.
Light - ABI tuna blue bulb, 12 watts, about 12 inches above the tank. I would love to shoot for 50-100 PAR at substrate level, but I am not picky about the exact level so long as I can keep the tank from becoming algae infested.
Food: No more than .15 ml dry food a day most days. Not sure how I would divide out such a small portion of frozen food...may use baby brine shrimp in place of frozen food.
Top offs: Daily or as needed.
Trace nutrients; 1 ml seachem marine trace, twice a week.
Water changes; 1 gallon, once a month
Sessile organisms; Red macroalgae (exact species TBD), Ricordea mushrooms. Others TBD
Non-Sessile organisms; TBD (invert only?)

How does this sound? Any changes you guys would recommend? Thank you :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have pico reefs that were five years old when that article was written, still kicking :) it’s a good long term reef option. With enough resolve you can age it to 1% of home reef age levels.

the slog is this: feed directly, heavily, then change water. X10,000 intervals and before you know it, poof a twenty year old reef.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back