OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stop.. PLEASE for the love of all that's holy, STOP!!!

Quick fixes, cause more harm than good!!

Get an RODI unit. Make your own water and step up your water changes.!!

I STRONGLY suspect that your source water is the problem. A 20g tank should be simple enough to maintain with a simple 20% weekly water change. we are talking a measly 4g of new water every week. Maybe 3g every 4 days.

That's ALL you need. Nothing more!!! You don't need to chemically fix what a simple water change will do.. and you don't WANT to!!

Besides, with a tank that small, getting the balance right will be a never-ending battle,, you dose this, that goes off, then you dose for that and the other goes off.. is a never win fight.

Get an RODI unit, make your OWN water and do your water changes. Problem solved.
So my phosphates are actually zero now which is not good I know. I did a large water change yesterday, cleaned the back chambers/sponges, replaced the carbon and filter. I’ve been dosing less than 1 ML like a few drops for the past few days. My nitrates came down from 30 to 28 in the last week and since yesterday. So that’s good I don’t think it happened too quickly. But why do I feel like I’m about to see a giant dino bloom?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing has been most effective for me to quickly reduce nitrates without stressing parameters plus it releases trapped alkalinity that would be removed via a WC. Have a test tank I allow to get above 160 ppm then apply NoPox in varying amounts each time to see how quickly I can drop nitrates without causing oxygen depletion. This is done with Microbacter7 added weekly and carbon dosing done daily as instructed although I often overdose for the purpose of testing the affect so I know my boundaries.
I agree on oxygen deprivation, I do not use nopox at night for that reason almost killed fish.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk who "warned" you about starting a fuge or why people are recommending nopox as a remedy for nitrates, but you need a solution to your problems, not a quick fix. You nutrient export is not matching your tanks ability to produce them. In the immediate future, you can do WC's to lower your No3. A 30% WC is a 30% reduction. That part isn't complicated and pretty easy to do. I harvest a decent amount of chaeto each week. If you're interested and in the US, send me a PM and pay for the flat rate box. I'll send you a decent sized chunk for free, and Ill even dip it for you. You'll just need to pick up a chaeto light. I'd strongly recommend the IM light for an AIO as its 8w is perfect for the close proximity, but you could get away with a cheap amazon grow light for around $12.
One bottle of nopox lasts me 6 months :) perks of nano. You can make your own nopox with vodka and vinegar in large amounts gallons for cheap.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run a skimmer though? I was so cautious before and I bought a skimmer. I know the water has to be super oxygenated etc.
I have made it 5 months without water changes and use nopox to keep nitrates down. I dose about 4ml a day. Only during day light I add it. I dose a large amount maybe 15-20 ml if nitrates get high or I have algae. Clears out my algae but it can suffocate the fish. I have a 20 gallon tank. There is extra oxygen from photosynthesis during the day from algae, and other stuff so it’s more balanced in my opinion.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been carbon dosing only a few drops a day along with cleaning out the back chambers, rinsing the sponges, a water change, and replacing the filter sock/carbon. My nitrates are down 28 from 30 and my phosphates went from 0.56 to zero since last Friday so 7 days of dosing. Did I drop my phosphates too quickly? I’m about to have a dinoflagellate aren’t I? Can I continue dosing my nitrates still aren’t where I want them to be. I’ve been dosing less than 1 ML. I also bought some Instant Ocean salt/distilled water and will be making my own saltwater.
What media have you used to drop phosphates? Carbon dosing doesn’t drop phosphates that fast you must of added a phosphates binding media to the system or you may have a error in the test, can you double check if is indeed zero?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What media have you used to drop phosphates? Carbon dosing doesn’t drop phosphates that fast you must of added a phosphates binding media to the system or you may have a error in the test, can you double check if is indeed zero?
I did. I put the vial back in multiple times. I can start a whole new test and I did just replace the carbon too but I didn’t do anything else different or special. The only media I have are sponges, bio balls, and carbon.

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. I put the vial back in multiple times. I can start a whole new test and I did just replace the carbon too but I didn’t do anything else different or special. The only media I have are sponges, bio balls, and carbon.
Could it be that your first test was in error then? Zero phosphates will explain why carbon dosing may not lowering the nitrates, it’s virtually impossible to lower nitrates via carbon dosing without phosphates, you may have to look at dosing phosphates as you are at risk of dinoflagellates and nutrients won’t lower effectively wile phosphates not detectable

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on oxygen deprivation, I do not use nopox at night for that reason almost killed fish.
Perhaps added more than system could handle. I've only seen that once and it was less than I had stress tested in the past yet this one time the system reacted adversely. Could see fish gasping. Never know all the parameters at play.

I've added NoPox both lights on and lights out with heave algae growth and have seen difference with the only exception noted above which was done lights on.

Like anything in life, moderation is safer than excess.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop.. PLEASE for the love of all that's holy, STOP!!!

Quick fixes, cause more harm than good!!

Get an RODI unit. Make your own water and step up your water changes.!!

I STRONGLY suspect that your source water is the problem. A 20g tank should be simple enough to maintain with a simple 20% weekly water change. we are talking a measly 4g of new water every week. Maybe 3g every 4 days.

That's ALL you need. Nothing more!!! You don't need to chemically fix what a simple water change will do.. and you don't WANT to!!

Besides, with a tank that small, getting the balance right will be a never-ending battle,, you dose this, that goes off, then you dose for that and the other goes off.. is a never win fight.

Get an RODI unit, make your OWN water and do your water changes. Problem solved.
I agree with this.

My takeaway with carbon dosing for all who are advocating this approach, doesn't the OP need a decent skimmer and/or a healthy biomass of corals to take care of the bacteria produced?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this.

My takeaway with carbon dosing for all who are advocating this approach, doesn't the OP need a decent skimmer and/or a healthy biomass of corals to take care of the bacteria produced?
Just a skimmer is required for carbon dosing to remove bacteria from the system. Carbon dosing works the same way as a refugium although it’s relying on the protein skimmer to remove nutrients Vs a refugium that will be manually removed every time algaes gets cut down.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly the question I had.

Nitrates, In my own experience matter little. It's not about chasing numbers. It's about reaching stability across the board.

My 55g, when it was running, had nitrates well above 50 constantly. That tank thrived. 16 fish and well over 100 corals.

Consistency is the name of the game. Hard to do with a 20g I know.

Forget all of the advise about dosing nopox and whatever. Either increase your water change amount or do it more frequently.

Also, GET an RODI and make your own water. I would never trust a LFS water. Period, end of story. For a hundred bucks or so you could make your own and KNOW you have a trustable source. Salt is not that expensive over the long run.
Shes stubborn. Let her learn the hard way like most of us did. Been saying just stick with water changes constantly and to not trust the LFS water...

She spent all that coin on an apex and should of bought a small rodi maker first...

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this.

I've been carbon dosing since October 2021 with zero WCs and no skimmer but do have a large bacterial filter which might help provide structure for the heterotrophic bacterial bloom that occurs when carbon is added.

Don't know where the internet came up with the notion one needs to offload bacteria with a skimmer but I know from actual experience this is not the case.

Since this is a test tank, no corals to absorb the bacteria, either. Just good old fashion media.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been carbon dosing since October 2021 with zero WCs and no skimmer but do have a large bacterial filter which might help provide structure for the heterotrophic bacterial bloom that occurs when carbon is added.

Don't know where the internet came up with the notion one needs to offload bacteria with a skimmer but I know from actual experience this is not the case.

Since this is a test tank, no corals to absorb the bacteria, either. Just good old fashion media.
Yea the hetertropic bacteria uses the vinegar and alcohol in nopox it’s like sugar for them. They breathe oxygen release carbon dioxide. They also use up nitrate like crazy. Why your tank gets starved of O2 if you put too much nopox in.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just what i read here on R2R, fascinated by the concept of producing bacteria in tank to manage waste which could also be used as food by corals.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wondering if you have to use phosphates absorbing media to keep phosphates in check?
Just curious not related to the thread.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is eating?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if you have to use phosphates absorbing media to keep phosphates in check?
Just curious not related to the thread.
I love bright well phosphate remover it tanks my phosphates to 0 very fast if you follow the bottle. I use it when I start seeing algae become a issue.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love bright well phosphate remover it tanks my phosphates to 0 very fast if you follow the bottle. I use it when I start seeing algae become a issue.
The question to Garriga is more related to carbon dosing.
It’s fairly easy to control phosphates in a system that is carbon dosed without having to use phosphate binding medias, sometimes you have to actually add phosphates wile carbon dosing to keep the overall tank in balance i’m just curious as he doesn’t remove the bacteria via skimming if he has to use phosphates absorbing medias for that reason.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back