Yes!
53F5A677-1D5F-45DA-A87E-6CED66C555C9.jpeg
C9A864DF-E46F-4772-A1E8-8F7688A6C8EE.jpeg

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question to Garriga is more related to carbon dosing.
It’s fairly easy to control phosphates in a system that is carbon dosed without having to use phosphate binding medias, sometimes you have to actually add phosphates wile carbon dosing to keep the overall tank in balance i’m just curious as he doesn’t remove the bacteria via skimming if he has to use phosphates absorbing medias for that reason.
I use both together brightwell phosphate remover and nopox :)

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you not do waterchanges and this is a new nano system? Why do you use nopox and dose a phosphate remover ?
With 0 water changes you get high nitrates eventually. Also get high phosphates without water changes. Nopox reduces nitrates. When you have too much nitrate it can kill inverts like shrimp if over 20 ppm and starfish. Also algae grows from nitrates and phosphates. If the algae grows over the coral it will kill it from blocking the light. So I use it to keep the algae at bay.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my starfish I really do and I want what’s best for the little guy. I’ve been considering taking him back to the fish store as I spoke with them and they’d give me store credit if I do. But I think it may stress the little guy out more. My nitrates are so high right now around 30. Boohoo! He’s eating and behaving normally but his little spikes are eroding. I’ve also thought about quarantining the little guy until I can get my nitrates down and I actually got a false reading the one time on them so I did think they were coming down a lot but only came down 0.02 points. Recommendations? I love the little guy so much and I just want what’s best. I’ve been carbon dosing, I run a skimmer, and do weekly water changes. I also have been thinking about making my own RODI water I just need to buy a unit and salt. Is there a way to get them down quickly?

Nitrates of 30 are not terrible.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't you not do waterchanges and this is a new nano system? Why do you use nopox and dose a phosphate remover ?
Also I do regular water changes levels are coming down nitrates are around 27 and phosphates 0.2 I believe.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 0 water changes you get high nitrates eventually. Also get high phosphates without water changes. Nopox reduces nitrates. When you have too much nitrate it can kill inverts like shrimp if over 20 ppm and starfish. Also algae grows from nitrates and phosphates. If the algae grows over the coral it will kill it from blocking the light. So I use it to keep the algae at bay.
That's great but mostly incorrect, that's not necessarily what happens without waterchanges, having a messed up biome and newly started tank and you piling food into it for months, that's what happens, plenty of mature tanks out there with over 20 nitrates doing just fine!! You have an algae problem because of many reasons, just keep dumping stuff in there that should take care of it... does algae grow from nitrates and phosphates, algae grows over the coral and blocks the light huh?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great but mostly incorrect, that's not necessarily what happens without waterchanges, having a messed up biome and newly started tank and you piling food into it for months, that's what happens, plenty of mature tanks out there with over 20 nitrates doing just fine!! You have an algae problem because of many reasons, just keep dumping stuff in there that should take care of it... does algae grow from nitrates and phosphates, algae grows over the coral and blocks the light huh?
No it does take care of it :) I do not have any issues :) it keeps them in check. I get issued when my doser tube doesn’t reach the bottom of the nopox bottle haha

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have cyano, I get green hair algae when nopox runs out. :)

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the hetertropic bacteria uses the vinegar and alcohol in nopox it’s like sugar for them. They breathe oxygen release carbon dioxide. They also use up nitrate like crazy. Why your tank gets starved of O2 if you put too much nopox in.

Just wondering if you have to use phosphates absorbing media to keep phosphates in check?
Just curious not related to the thread.
Have used PhosGuard but only if unable to get phosphates below 0.25 ppm. Although it normally works itself out since I've found that I've needed phosphates to lower nitrates. Once had to add NeoPhos because phosphates were too low and then my nitrates dropped.

Have read conflicting sentiment on Redfield but do believe both need to be present for both to get reduced from my experience. Goal is to take the most pragmatic natural approach within reason vs constantly chasing numbers with band aides.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what i read here on R2R, fascinated by the concept of producing bacteria in tank to manage waste which could also be used as food by corals.
Don't know if the concept of corals eating bacteria is science or conjecture. Although it makes sense that something would consume bacteria. Just assumed it would be other bacteria eating that which has seized to exist because it's either ran it's life cycle or depleted it's food supply.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the hetertropic bacteria uses the vinegar and alcohol in nopox it’s like sugar for them. They breathe oxygen release carbon dioxide. They also use up nitrate like crazy. Why your tank gets starved of O2 if you put too much nopox in.
My understanding of carbon and heterotrophic bacteria is that in the absence of DO then bound oxygen such as found in nitrates are utilized and why I'm not exactly sure of the cause of oxygen depletion. Although the prolifiration of heterotrophic bacteria would utilize DO to decompose detritus but wouldn't that imply that the consumption of DO would be driven by the level of detritus present in the system? Bacteria don't have lungs therefore don't technically breath yet require DO or bound oxygen to complete their processes of decomposing organic matter.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back