LPS and bayer

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a big fan of Bayer for SPS dipping but I can't say I've used it for LPS so please share your thoughts.

How do they fare? I saw a thread where others were still doing a 10 min dip.

I am assuming you just make sure to rinse them very well? To me the extra flesh (in relation to SPS) would be more likely to uptake and later release some of the dip water. Do you hold them in a rinse solution for a longer period of time?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with the LPS as well.
Use same dose and same time.
Of course always rinse well.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for posting this! I was wondering the same.
do you guys take off the frag plug? new at dipping and fragging... cutting the coral then dipping has be uneasy dont want to losse my goodies.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for posting this! I was wondering the same.
do you guys take off the frag plug? new at dipping and fragging... cutting the coral then dipping has be uneasy dont want to losse my goodies.
Personally I like to remount frags whenever possible. That way I don't run the risk of adding any unwanted eggs, algae, aiptasia, etc.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah a agree its the best way for sure. I guess I should just man up and get comfy with it.

so If I want to dip corals that are already in the DT for a few mounts and there doing great would it help?

just curious can you dip macro algae too?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a Candy Cane and ran across a youtube video that said do not dip Lps in bayers. The other 3 corals were dipped in bayers and all 4 (including cancy cane) are in my 10gl qt tank.

It's been 3 days and I plan to grab a few more frags today, Im going to dip the candy cane now that I know its safe to dip them.
tyvm on the info given here:)

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
purchased 4 corals and dipped the candy cane... 12hrs later all 5 are dead. I might have overdosed with bayers :eek:.
do not eyeball bayers. lesson learned:(.

Frags
candy cane
2 lps
2 sps

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow !! I have never had sps or lps die due to bayer even at crazy high concentration . Hoe long did you leave them in there ?
Alawaya do 2 baths after bayer dip to wash off any residue ..

Regards,
Abhishek

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 min and 4 DI baths. 5 containers in total.

Bayers container with tank water
4 containers of fresh DI water.
Between each DI dip/rinse, I pour new water over the coral prior to rinsing off in that container over the previous container.
The other frags that were dipped a couple weeks ago are doing fine. Only the 5 dipped corals are dead/dying.
Candy Cane turned white with in 12hrs and the center was still bright yellow for a few more hrs.
Not sure which sps frags as they were given to me but they have white patches on them. I'll go back on Friday and try again with the same corals but do a smaller bayers dose.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just tried Bayer the first time on 14 frags (all LPS mostly Acan's/micromussa) I got from a recent sale. I did 10 min bath , RO dip and then a second RO dip. On day 3 now and frags doing well. I'm happy so far

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first 2 rounds was successful, 3rd was a fail. I did notice when I was gluing the frags to plugs, there was white stuff on the glue. It was not bayers, 100% positive.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also For what it's worth when using Bayer:

Remember to mix Bayer with Tank water, not RO/DI
For the RO Dip /wash I floated my water in a bag in my tank for 30 min to make sure I wasn't dipping/rinsing them in a dramatically colder water to prevent some shock.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 min and 4 DI baths. 5 containers in total.

Bayers container with tank water
4 containers of fresh DI water.
Between each DI dip/rinse, I pour new water over the coral prior to rinsing off in that container over the previous container.
The other frags that were dipped a couple weeks ago are doing fine. Only the 5 dipped corals are dead/dying.
Candy Cane turned white with in 12hrs and the center was still bright yellow for a few more hrs.
Not sure which sps frags as they were given to me but they have white patches on them. I'll go back on Friday and try again with the same corals but do a smaller bayers dose.
Use tank water for all rinses. 4 dips in DI water without salt is likely what killed your frags.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also For what it's worth when using Bayer:

Remember to mix Bayer with Tank water, not RO/DI
For the RO Dip /wash I floated my water in a bag in my tank for 30 min to make sure I wasn't dipping/rinsing them in a dramatically colder water to prevent some shock.
Floating the roDI is one thing I did not do. I'll do that next time as I float the corals.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use tank water for all rinses. 4 dips in DI water without salt is likely what killed your frags.

You think so? I would say it was a total of 4 min between the DI dips.
I thought I read DI water to rinse but it does make sense to rinse in tank water.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen others lose corals this way. It is hard to overdose with the bayer. also, I get the tank water all at same time, temp is good in all,, then as it cools, all are still at same temp. If you think it cooled too much, float corals in rinse water in the tank for 10 minutes before putting them in.
I have always just put them right in.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen others lose corals this way. It is hard to overdose with the bayer. also, I get the tank water all at same time, temp is good in all,, then as it cools, all are still at same temp. If you think it cooled too much, float corals in rinse water in the tank for 10 minutes before putting them in.
The more I think about it the more I wonder why in the heck rinse in roDI anyways? It really only now make sense to rinse in fresh tank water right? Any other reason to rinse in roDI instead?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Tyvm for the tips. I'm still new at salt and reefing, so the cheap frag section has been my friend:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back