LPS and bayer

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only rinse twice and have not had any problems. My tank is full of pods and have not ever seen any die off. I do shake all corals in each rinse water a few times.
I always have a gallon of fresh salt water ready and take out a large amount for the treatment and just replace immediately with fresh salt water. I like to plan ahead.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes never expose coral to anything other than saltwater. The freshwater will kill them quickly. I even get a little nervous if I do an H202 dip as the more you add to saltwater the more you'll drop salinity.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me but I have successfully killed a small frag of yellow acropora milleapora by 3 mins dip in RO/DI water years back .
Thought its supposed to work like freshwater dip of fishes .
Also, killed them using excess H2O2 dip in the past !!!

With respect to LPS , I dipped my torches , frogspawn and acans in high Bayer concentration for 15 mins , followed by 15 min rinse in 2 fresh saltwater baths and the are doing great .
In fact, in the past , they have died sometimes I suspect from the harsh Coral RX but never ever from Bayer .

Regards,
Abhishek

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes never expose coral to anything other than saltwater. The freshwater will kill them quickly. I even get a little nervous if I do an H202 dip as the more you add to saltwater the more you'll drop salinity.

I just watched the youtube video I used the first time and it uses salt. I guess I got the RODI fish dip confused with bayers. The last set of corals was also rinsed in DI and so far the birds nest and red dragon are doing fine. I guess I got lucky.

crankbait09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to bring this old post back up for a minute.........There is a lot of debate when it comes to amount of time in each dip/rinsing stage. I have seen many do anywhere from 2-15 minutes per stage.
I have dipped using bayer for three years now. Always have had the coral in each stage for 15 minutes each.

Anyone ever try 2 vs 15 minute dippings? Any differences?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since my noob RoDi dip, I have used Bayers quite a bit. I have dipped SPS, LPS and nems with no problems. I did however almost dip a Clam and in reading, I would of made an expensive mistake.

My remedy is as followed

Float bag in sump for 10min to 20min
pour 1-2 cup of water and 3 caps of bayers in one container
remove coral from plug
11 min Timer
constant flow with turkey baster (only used for bayers dip)
Times up
drain most of bayers into sink (leave some to try and ID hitchhikers)
(4 small separate containers of tank water ready)
hold coral with tongs over old container, pour new tank water over coral so water falls into old container
Place coral in 1 of 4 tank water containers for 20 seconds.
repeat last two 3 more times or till last container is used.

Im not sure if dipping for 10 minutes would have a benefit over 10 seconds. Once I am done dipping, I want to rinse and dip to remove the bayers. I do use the last container to start hardening the glue on a new dry plug.

I'd say I have done this exact method on about 80 corals over the past 1.5 yrs. This thread is the last time I have lost a coral due to dipping. No unwanted pest with the exception of astrea stars from a chaeto purchase.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back