LPS Help Sleuthing

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large amount of torches, frogs and octos in 1 of 3 70g tanks plumbed together. Lately I’ve been losing torches one at a time. They all have started with what appears to be a slight tear on the edge of a head and then I sadly just watch them slowly die as I try iodine and other dips at regular intervals to try and save. All parameters are in check (per ICP)

8.3 alk
415 ca
1345 mg
10 nitrate
.04 phos

I suspect a tank member as the culprit. This is because it is 1 torch at a time, and it seems like the single head (smallest) torches have fallen victim. And the other 2 tanks are rocking. Who should I hone in on (and move) as the most likely culprit? All inhabitants put in purposefully are established and over 3yrs in tank

Suspects:
- 2 md size yellow tangs
- fire shrimp
- lg green coris wrasse
-mandarin
-paired clowns that stay on other side of tank
-conch
-couple sm blue legs
-lg urchin pincushion
-red serpent star
-has been hanging in the general area
-blue linckia
-lg brittle
-asterinas (they have without fail been found on the dying torch)
IMG_2579.jpeg

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. The fire shrimp is my number one suspect; may just move him to be safe.

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow around the torches in question? Also, IMO/IME, LPS prefer higher nutrients, and your calcium and magnesium are on the low side.
I’d say substantial flow- octo4 at one end and the 3 tanks split a varios8; this tank has a 1200gph overflow that is running over half- I’d say 800-900gph turnover. I hear you on the love for high nutrients, but one of the 3 tanks is sps and they’re my primary concern with going above 10 on nitrate. I agree on the ca as a touch low & I will work to bump it up (I like it around 450). I was figuring if it was parameters like ca it would be more widespread than 1 at a time and would display more as the torch fully pulled in rather than tear from the side- appreciate the help!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say substantial flow- octo4 at one end and the 3 tanks split a varios8; this tank has a 1200gph overflow that is running over half- I’d say 800-900gph turnover. I hear you on the love for high nutrients, but one of the 3 tanks is sps and they’re my primary concern with going above 10 on nitrate. I agree on the ca as a touch low & I will work to bump it up (I like it around 450). I was figuring if it was parameters like ca it would be more widespread than 1 at a time and would display more as the torch fully pulled in rather than tear from the side- appreciate the help!
The flow could be too much and might be why the flesh is tearing...

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestion. I’ll lower it a bit and see how that plays into things. These torches have all been in the tank for 6mo-1yr without issue. But what supports flow as problematic is that they’ve all been located in the relatively same spot in the tank.

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just circling back here- no head losses since flow adjustment… the fire shrimp has gotten a reprieve from being banished to the sump. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal thanks for the help identifying the issue.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just circling back here- no head losses since flow adjustment… the fire shrimp has gotten a reprieve from being banished to the sump. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal thanks for the help identifying the issue.
Glad to hear it's doing better!

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow around the torches in question? Also, IMO/IME, LPS prefer higher nutrients, and your calcium and magnesium are on the low side.
Huh?

1350 Mag and 415 Calcium isn’t on the low side - that’s right within optimal ranges according to everything I’ve read

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh?

1350 Mag and 415 Calcium isn’t on the low side - that’s right within optimal ranges according to everything I’ve read
Agree that it wasn’t the issue. Mag is on point where I want it, CA was a hair low but nothing alarming.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh?

Huh? "Everything you've read" might not apply specifically to these corals... Lol!
(And do you not understand what "IMO" and "IME" mean?)

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? "Everything you've read" might not apply specifically to these corals... Lol!
(And do you not understand what "IMO" and "IME" mean?)

Ok let me be more specific

There isn't anything documented that would suggest that those levels are on the "low side" for any coral period. Regardless of "IMO" or "IME"

So I don't know why that would even be thrown out there.

I'm just going to chalk this up to reckless "advice" and move on, thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me be more specific

There isn't anything documented that would suggest that those levels are on the "low side" for any coral period. Regardless of "IMO" or "IME"

So I don't know why that would even be thrown out there.

I'm just going to chalk this up to reckless "advice" and move on, thanks
Wow! There is a lot of evidence documented that euphyllia and fimbriaphyllia prefer Ca of at least 450 and Mag over 1400... 1500 is better. And I and others who have these corals have found this to be very true.

As a reply to the OP's question, I can't imagine why you'd have a problem with this??

Ignoring the experiences of people who have actually successfully kept these corals is what's "reckless"!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! There is a lot of evidence documented that euphyllia and fimbriaphyllia prefer Ca of at least 450 and Mag over 1400... 1500 is better. And I and others who have these corals have found this to be very true.

As a reply to the OP's question, I can't imagine why you'd have a problem with this??

Ignoring the experiences of people who have actually successfully kept these corals is what's "reckless"!
I agree my torches, hammers and frogspawn do much better with magnesium above 1400. I dose to keep it up but struggle to get it much higher than 1400.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back