LPS (Large Pretty Showpiece) Corals...Yes or No?

Do you consider LPS corals to be "showpiece" type corals?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 270 93.1%
  • NO (why not?)

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance is pretty awesome!
46320296-9F00-4248-B431-632D71B39D27.jpeg

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS are definitely most of my favourites! I have an absolute euphyplia obsession although I own very few right now. My elegance is probably my favourite and by far my nicest show piece, as soon as I saw the WYSIWYG photo I ordered it. looks exactly like the photo, I'm just going to put that photo here because the frag tank is a bit of a mess. The blue and the yellow contrast so nicely.
IMG_9058-scaled.jpeg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS doesn't stand for Large Pretty Showpiece? Well it should!

Showpiece - something that attracts attention or admiration as an outstanding example of its type.

This week we are going to dedicate our QOTD topics to one of my most favorite types of corals, Large Polyp Stony or LPS corals. And why would LPS corals be my favorite? Well I'm glad you asked. I'm going to get technical with you here. I love LPS corals because they are generally easier to care for than SPS corals and drumroll please......They are BIGGER and more BEAUTIFUL, in my most humble of opinions. :p LPS just make for some epic tank showpieces!

@Reef Builders says this about LPS: LPS corals require less light than many other species, therefore they require less expensive lighting equipment for the aquarium setups. These corals are very easy to grow and require less maintenance such as water changes, chemical adjustment, and temperature regulation, etc. Maintaining LPS over the long term is easier.

So let's kick it off this week with this!

1. Are you a fan of LPS corals and if so which type is your favorite?

2. Do you have an LPS coral that you consider to be a showpiece of your tank? SHARE A PHOTO!

See any fabulous lps corals in this reef? @jourdy
LD6xycH.jpg
Heck yeah. Fat, fleshy LPS corals are the best.

You can beat a colorful Scoly or Acanthophyllia. Elegance and Bubble corals are spectacular. And fungias and hammers aren’t too shabby either.

I’ll take these over the fuzzy sticks any day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red centered elegance. Lost my blue centered on in my move last year, still looking for another.

8373717B-72B1-484E-A81B-32150E8EC51F.jpeg
I’m confused, is the red centred Elegance rarer than the blue?
LPS are definitely most of my favourites! I have an absolute euphyplia obsession although I own very few right now. My elegance is probably my favourite and by far my nicest show piece, as soon as I saw the WYSIWYG photo I ordered it. looks exactly like the photo, I'm just going to put that photo here because the frag tank is a bit of a mess. The blue and the yellow contrast so nicely.
IMG_9058-scaled.jpeg
The golden tips are stunning, does it actually fluoresce in the blue lighting?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@i cant think I don’t know one color to be rarer than another. Generally elegances are either purple or green in the center and it’s only the last 7-8 years where I’ve personally seen reds, blues and yellowish ones.

Blue one pre move.
E21830D2-58DF-4986-9DFB-A647845508AE.jpeg

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused, is the red centred Elegance rarer than the blue?

The golden tips are stunning, does it actually fluoresce in the blue lighting?
They do! that photo is the one from the store so thats actually under fairly blue light, although you can still see them under whites, its my favourite piece!

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is eye candy. Makes me want my new tank running now. Here is all I have. Small but bright pink.

Attachments

• 99543767-86BC-4390-8090-A6C30B393AEB.png
    99543767-86BC-4390-8090-A6C30B393AEB.png
    1 MB · Views: 35

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole tank was basically set up for LPS show pieces. Trachys are my favorite, and the rainbow in the center is probably the nicest. The Acantho behind it has become HUGE despite being sold as "nano size" 9 months ago.
I have room for one more nice piece in the corner and I'm waiting for something really amazing to come along.
IMG_1480.jpg

This is one of the most aesthetically pleasing tanks I've seen. Beautiful

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My god that thing is heavenly!!! What is your secret to making that thing love life?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back