LPS Type Identification

  • Thread starter Thread starter Poseidon03
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Poseidon03

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2019
Messages
818
Reaction score
694
Location
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I got this LPS as a rescue from a tank crash. Anyone know what it is? It's been brown, and slowly getting more green. I have no idea what type of coral it is though.

PXL_20230505_154055933~2.jpg
 
It honestly looks more like a cluster of zoas/palys, but I'll take your word that it's an LPS.
I would think the same, but it is hard and the coral is sort of fuzzy. I'll have to take a better picture tomorrow. I know most corals, and this has me stumped. My thought was a cup coral. It has been in my tank for over a month, but I've seen no PE.

1683338169495.png
 
What does it look like with its polyps open?
 
Here's the top and bottom side. As you can see, it looks like an encrusting LPS. It's super blue with all blues and brown with whites.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20230513_191031047.jpg
    PXL_20230513_191031047.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20230513_191019711.jpg
    PXL_20230513_191019711.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 55
It's weird because the parts between the polyps is fuzzy and the polyps only extend to the edge of the holes.

It's crazy, but I got a better photo from a screen shot than from after a photo. My phone always edits the photo after I take it and it is never the same. First is photo second is screen shot.......
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20230518_194523985.jpg
    PXL_20230518_194523985.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20230518-154602~2.png
    Screenshot_20230518-154602~2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Now that I see its polyps open, my guess would be Turbinaria. Not pagoda cup ex-Turbinaria/Duncanopsammia, but something like Turbinaria reniformis or T. mesenteria.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new