LT Anemone keeps hiding

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a dilemma: My tank is 6 years old. Its a mix of Soft/LPS and now starting SPS as well.

I have a 30-40 head (hard to count) hammer in the tank. I introduced a LTA into the tank 3 weeks ago, put it in a spot and fully expected it to go find itself a place it liked better.
What it did is climb into the hammer and hide in its canopy, its been moving from branch to branch all this time.

Question: Should i try to get it out of the hammer (i have no idea how i would even do this, the LTA grabs onto things pretty hard), or leave it be? The hammer isnt particularly bothered by it, it will deflate the head thats nearest to the LTA and reinflate once the LTA moved.

I do a 5% water change every other day and run ATI Essentials Pro on a doser.

All corals are doing great and growing. So am really unsure why the LTA has been hiding for so long. Light is Viperspectra t300 (36 inch version) 8.5 inches above water, 8 hour run time. Tank is a 54 gallon corner. Tank is low tech, a couple powerheads aimed at angles to each other to create random patters.
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 77.9 - 78.5 (swing takes about 5-6 hours)
Alk: 10.3 - 10.7 (depends on when tested vs when the doser ran)
Nitrate/Phosphate: havent tested in years. (haven't lost anything in years).

Any advice is appreciated!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a dilemma: My tank is 6 years old. Its a mix of Soft/LPS and now starting SPS as well.

I have a 30-40 head (hard to count) hammer in the tank. I introduced a LTA into the tank 3 weeks ago, put it in a spot and fully expected it to go find itself a place it liked better.
What it did is climb into the hammer and hide in its canopy, its been moving from branch to branch all this time.

Question: Should i try to get it out of the hammer (i have no idea how i would even do this, the LTA grabs onto things pretty hard), or leave it be? The hammer isnt particularly bothered by it, it will deflate the head thats nearest to the LTA and reinflate once the LTA moved.

I do a 5% water change every other day and run ATI Essentials Pro on a doser.

All corals are doing great and growing. So am really unsure why the LTA has been hiding for so long. Light is Viperspectra t300 (36 inch version) 8.5 inches above water, 8 hour run time. Tank is a 54 gallon corner. Tank is low tech, a couple powerheads aimed at angles to each other to create random patters.
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 77.9 - 78.5 (swing takes about 5-6 hours)
Alk: 10.3 - 10.7 (depends on when tested vs when the doser ran)
Nitrate/Phosphate: havent tested in years. (haven't lost anything in years).

Any advice is appreciated!
I love anemones but this is the reason I don’t have anemones any more. They just move around too much. I would let him move on his own unless he is hurting the other inhabitant. Keep an eye on him and those powerhead though. I have made anemone soup a couple times.

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anemones but this is the reason I don’t have anemones any more. They just move around too much. I would let him move on his own unless he is hurting the other inhabitant. Keep an eye on him and those powerhead though. I have made anemone soup a couple times.
Thanks!

He actually came close to the edge of the coral, so I used a q-tip to gently encourage it to let go. It is now happily sitting on the sandbed wedged by a rock. I honestly think it was lost in the hammer maze.

10-4 on the powerheads, will keep an eye on it.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the other guy. I adore my nems but they get their own tank because I can’t handle the anxiety lol
Now, they can move wherever they want :) I would personally pull the nem and put it across the tank, in a different spot that wasn’t your original place. But that’s just me-I’ve seen nems take out a bunch of coral-that’s when I moved them to their own tank.
Bf doesn’t LOVE the multi tank approach lol but he deals with it :)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one or two LTA many years ago. They liked to bury deep in the sand in my tank.

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one or two LTA many years ago. They liked to bury deep in the sand in my tank.
Thats what this one decided to do, its now between the rock and the sandbed. Hopefully it stays there:)

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had pretty good luck with them not moving. Most just stay where I put them. One is prissy and only stays for a few weeks then finds a new home.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds pretty bizarre considering it's a sand-dwelling creature. Must see pics! I wonder if it is having trouble making it's way out?

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had pretty good luck with them not moving. Most just stay where I put them. One is prissy and only stays for a few weeks then finds a new home.
Well its gonna be a learning experience for sure :).

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds pretty bizarre considering it's a sand-dwelling creature. Must see pics! I wonder if it is having trouble making it's way out?
Thats what i think happened, it finally moved close enough to the edge where i could reach with a q-tip and gently get it to let go. It now sits happily between a rock and the sand bed, Fingers crossed it stays there.

Just my luck, bizarre should be the name of the tank. I def learned what not to do over the 6 years lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back