LTA looks terrible

fruity nash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve been a member a while but never posted. Honestly been a little nervous for the comments, but I’m desperate. So I’m completely new to salt water tanks. My mother in law got my 4 year old a fluval evo 13.5 for his birthday. She promised my LFS would service every two weeks and we could just enjoy it. I was obviously naive believing that statement. So we got the tank on October 27, first Nemo fish on October 30, second Nemo on November 3, and a long tentacle anemone on December 4. It moved a lot but seemed fairly happy. On December 28 it got stuck in the small filter hole on the side of the tank. It went all the way through into chamber 2 and chamber 3. I was able to grab it out and put it back in the tank. It’s been ticked ever since. Over the last week it’s been spitting out the brown stuff and some pink stuff, it’s getting smaller and the mouth is open and gaping all the time. All levels are good. Haven’t checked mag, kit coming Tuesday. Stock light. I keep it on almost all day because it seems happier. Please direct me! And please don’t say take it back or the tank is too new, I know that already and it doesn’t actually fix the problem. Thanks!
Salinity 1.023
Calcium 400

71149BD5-6811-452C-B1B9-E92DC1DF0C93.jpeg E576453C-D521-4B38-891C-038288E60244.jpeg 93FEDF11-8DF0-498F-89C9-87C45D1B06AE.jpeg B611DB3B-6125-4C17-80CB-5A02B5F695BB.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    38.9 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bleached so will be an uphill battle along with being a very young tank. Testing for nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity are needed and preferably with something other than API.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its trying to root itself into a crevice and your tank doesn't appear to having any deep rock crevices. These are not beginner friendly anemones. If it actually is bleached, reef energy can be used as a supplement.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fruity nash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What
Looks bleached so will be an uphill battle along with being a very young tank. Testing for nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity are needed and preferably with something other than API.
does that mean it looks bleached? Is that because of the foot or the tentacles? I thought some LTAs had all white tentacles is that not right? Im in the process of upgrading testing for sure. Are those three the most important to test and upgrade first?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk shoudn't matter for non calcium carbonate based cnidarians (at least in any realistic level in our tanks). The nitrate test is fine for API above 5ppm but I do agree their phosphate is useless.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rehome the LTA. Your LFS should not have sold it to a brand new hobbyist with an undersized and under lit tank. It won't work long term even if you are able to get it settled in the short term.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fruity nash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rehome the LTA. Your LFS should not have sold it to a brand new hobbyist with an undersized and under lit tank. It won't work long term even if you are able to get it settled in the short term.
Is there a light you recommend that will help?

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are several good options for light upgrades for the Evo. Google it or do a search on R2R. AI Prime 16 is one.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back