Lubricating 'O' rings...

  • Thread starter Thread starter chevy4w
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chevy4w

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2013
Messages
289
Reaction score
193
Location
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the ro/di and dual carbon/GFO reactor there are rubber 'O' ring gaskets on the top of each canister. I read somewhere that they need to be lubricated from time to time. What would be safe to use to lubricate?
 
Last edited:
We have a pool and I always use the pool lube stuff on all O rings to keep them from getting streched out and abused. It's probably just overpriced Vasoline to be honest.
 
The proper lube for O-ring is Silicone based. A 1/4 spot of it can easily lube a 6 inch o-ring
Vaseline is Petroleum based and will lead to the o-rings breaking down prematurely
 
I've never done it but I think you would use food-safe silicone lubricant. It's something that's used for moving parts in kitchens.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new