OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out my return for black lock line today. I tried to do a gravity fed ATO with a 2 gallon bucket and float valve but it doesn't fit. I'll have to play with it more tomorrow.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great Luke! If you have any questions, I would be happy to try and help.

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great Luke! If you have any questions, I would be happy to try and help.

Thanks, I might take you up on that. I've just got to fit the float valve on the 10 gallon sump/fuge. I'm going to have another go at it tomorrow.

I'm getting impatient waiting for my lights. I tried to fill the void with the fish and shrimp but they're playing hide and seek.

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to add it the the return pump section using a scrap piece of lexan. The valve needs too much space between the long float and the tubing at the rear.

I'm going to adjust the float to its max angle and remount higher to see if it fits.

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this will work now. I readjusted the float. I'll have to figure out a way to attach it to the sump. Maybe just a clamp.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361117182.155610.jpg

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361119594.596152.jpg

Installed seems to be working. The return pump power cord blocked the float, I'll have to keep an eye on that. We're running the heat now and the tank evaporated a half gallon since yesterday afternoon. Last week without the heat running it evaporated about a gallon. I'm running more water now.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to pick your brain about your ATO Luke. With our tanks so similar I bet I could replicate yours for my ATO needs.

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super simple to make one. I bought a float valve, a John Guest bulkhead fitting and 4' of John Guest tubing. I drilled a 2 gallon bucket and installed the bulkhead fitting with some silicone for some added leak protection. I took a scape piece of lexan and drilled a hole to install the float valve. I clipped the lexan to my baffle with a paper binder clip and removed the metal handles. I should've glued or attached it in a more permanent way. I should've done this all prior to setting up the tank but I didn't have a clue as to where the water level should be. The bucket is sitting on a milk crate (temporarily) next to my stand. I'll look for something to hide it in the future.

mayday610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will put that on my list of wants/needs! lol

Only mod you will have, is if you are using a glass tank for a sump, you may have to cut/shave the trim to fit the mount. The mount is designed to fit any tank without a trim piece. The mount spacing is approx. 5/8 of an inch.

010.jpg

This one here is a slightly older design, but same idea. I Ended up breaking off the back mount tabs and used super glue to fix it to the tank trim. But, same idea as to what i had to trim off to make it fit. The new ones have more "meat" to the back mounting tabs and i have yet to break one :)

mayday610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that some pics look great until you post them, then they expand all out of whack!! lol Oh well, you get the idea!!!

mayday610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super simple to make one. I bought a float valve, a John Guest bulkhead fitting and 4' of John Guest tubing. I drilled a 2 gallon bucket and installed the bulkhead fitting with some silicone for some added leak protection. I took a scape piece of lexan and drilled a hole to install the float valve. I clipped the lexan to my baffle with a paper binder clip and removed the metal handles. I should've glued or attached it in a more permanent way. I should've done this all prior to setting up the tank but I didn't have a clue as to where the water level should be. The bucket is sitting on a milk crate (temporarily) next to my stand. I'll look for something to hide it in the future.

Where is your RO/DI unit installed? I ran a gravity fed for awhile but didn't like having it exposed to everything in the air, not to mention the amount of space it takes up. My RO/DI unit is on the other end of my house, but what i did was go to Lowes and bought a 100' length of line, a Tee, and a valve, and i ran a line down under the house in the half basement/half crawl space, and drilled a small hole in the floor, just big enough to fit my line, and i ran it straight to my ATO. I just pulled back the wall trim, so if it was ever moved, the hole could be conceiled once again with the trim. I've never been happier not having to "top off" my gravity fed ATO.

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on a well so I'm limited to having the filter downstairs where it can reach the hose. The tank in upstairs but thankfully it's small.

I haven't found a goo place yet so I temporarily mounted it on the clothes line and I pull it down once I finish running water. Yesterday I made 10 gallons and it took most of the day.

OP
OP
LukeG

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found my goby in the return pump chamber of the sump tonight and put him back into the DT. He isn't doing so well. It looks like he might have gotten beaten up by the sump baffles.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361240853.769141.jpg

I also found the burrow that the pistol shrimp made. He seems alive and well.

I didn't see the purple firefish tonight but I'm assuming he's still hiding in the rocks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back