Lumen max elite reflector, or Cebu Sun?

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,

I am torn between a 48" Cebu Sun (2x250 halides, 4x54 watt T5) or just going with 2x400 watt halides in Lumen max elite reflectors. Will add Orphek LED bars to which ever I go with. Can anyone speak about the output between the two fixtures and/or recommend one over the other? It is for an Acropora dominant 100 gallon system (48x24x20).

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a tough one. I lean slightly to the lumenmax elite reflector direction. Just for fewer plugs and cheaper bulb changes. Energy cost will be a wash. You’ll want to hang those a minimum of 12” off the water

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not need 400w to cover that area, IMO. If you think that you might want T5s for some dusk/dawn, then the choice is easy. Otherwise, either should do the job quite well.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 14.5" reflector, the Lumen Max Elite? I've never seen these ones as I haven't run M/Hs for years. For your size tank I also like the idea of the 16" reflectors Bpb uses. To me the Cebu Sun has always seemed to narrow to fit reflectors in with 4 T5 bulbs as well, but I've never used one.

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I only mentioned the Lumenmax elite specifically because a local hobbyist has these for sale cheap. I already have the Cebu Sun but it was $120 with newish bulbs and 1 ballast. I won't be out much if I go a different route and it just sits in my laundry room. I'm currently running the Giesemann Spectra on a smaller tank and love it. Can't really tell a difference between when just the halide is on and when halide and T5s are both on though. That's why I'm considering going with just the Lumenmax. I'll have the LEDs for dusk/dawn too. There are too many options in this hobby. It keeps me up at night.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run any T5s or VHOs when my MHs are on... I just save the money and bulb-time. I just run them before and after, if at all... my main display has nothing but halides that run for 10 hours.

Get those Lumenmax even if you decide against them for this tank. If they are cheap, they might be gold some day if you need a quick-setup, backup or start another tank. If your spectra needs to come offline for a few days for a rewire or while you wait on a new piece of glass, these could be handy. They are great reflectors to have in your closet or on a tank.

OP
OP
C

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda, you have a point. Might as well just buy the Lumenmax now, compare PAR and spread between them and the Cebu Sun, and use which ever I prefer. Either would be nice to have as a back up. Now I just have to choose bulbs.....

@greg 45, I have heard good things about the Reef Brite halide fixtures but the two I've mentioned are either free or cheap so I am going to stick with those options. The XHO led strips are amazing! I just don't know if I'm willing to spend the extra money to go with those over Orphek.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back