Lyertail anthies or chromis?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble keeping nutrients up in my tank so I’m looking to add 2-4 more fish, preferably some schooling fish. I’ve heard Lyertails and Chromis require frequent feeding which I can provide. Tank is a 40g cube 24 x 24 so I think I can sustain a small school if either of these types correct?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyre tail anthias get much too big for a 40 gallon cube.

Chromis is a group of related fishes. Assuming the blue green chromis, a single would be fine. Multiple might be an option, although most people don't have success keeping groups of them and are disappointed. Schooling is something difficult to achieve in smaller saltwater tanks.

What fish are in your tank already? We could give you some other options, although a single chromis would work.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyre tail anthias get much too big for a 40 gallon cube.

Chromis is a group of related fishes. Assuming the blue green chromis, a single would be fine. Multiple might be an option, although most people don't have success keeping groups of them and are disappointed. Schooling is something difficult to achieve in smaller saltwater tanks.

What fish are in your tank already? We could give you some other options, although a single chromis would work.
Not sure why I was thinking lyertail. Isn’t there a smaller anthies species that may work in a smaller tank?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue/Green Chromis are active and colorful. I've had a pair for a couple years and they're always right next to each other.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and love them... I did read when selecting my lyretail that they actually need quite a big tank at 125 gallons... I have a 180. I also have a school of blue chromis 6 and have had them for YEARS. the way the blue chromis shimmer in the light and school is fantastic. In your system I would recommend blue chromis and get 4... so you can end up with 3 who school. I wouldn't get less then a school of blue chromis tho.. they like groups.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back