Lyretail Anthias question…

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two of these. Since I got them one has a longer dorsal fin/spine at the front, about twice the height of the rest of the top fin now, so I’m taking that this one has turned into a male.

My question is - what stops the other one from also turning into a male?

I’m curious as the male has been a bit of a jerk to the other one the last couple days (mostly just chasing, no biting as far as I can tell).

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I my experience with Lyretails, the dorsal fin and size is an indicator of male transformation. Also, the darker red coloration.

Have you notice change in color? Also, do you have a pic?

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I my experience with Lyretails, the dorsal fin and size is an indicator of male transformation. Also, the darker red coloration.

Have you notice change in color? Also, do you have a pic?

Here they are, best I could get of the dorsal fin - it’s about half flared (one at front) so the front bit is less visible than it sometimes is, but they’re hard to get a good pic of when they’re zipping around. No noticeable color change yet.

2521251D-F48A-47BE-A373-2D74F6515B47.jpeg

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the pic.

Still hard to tell. Since the signs are still subtle. How many lyretails do you have?

Also, my males where more aggressive.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoever is biggest will usually become the male, that male will then keep every other anthias in line until it becomes weak and or dies. Then there is nothing stopping the next biggest from taking over and the cycle continues. The one with the larger spike on the dorsal will definitely become the male, I had two females and the one looked exactly the same then kept getting bigger/more colorful over 6 months.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic.

Still hard to tell. Since the signs are still subtle. How many lyretails do you have?

Also, my males where more aggressive.
Just the two.

Not overly worried about the current behavior, but was wondering if I could somehow end up with two males, or if there’s some process that stops that happening.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back