M. Spongodes?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
2,318
Reaction score
4,585
Location
West Monroe, LA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking this is what this is, but can someone confirm for me?
IMG_5035.jpg
 
The part in yellow is about 2" x 1.5" and is like a large flat branch. It's not encrusted, but about half an inch off the rock...

upload_2018-12-11_14-0-59.png
 
Does look close to Anacropora, but that flat branch part makes me think M. Spongodes or some other type of branching monti. Mine has a couple of those, and I've never seen that growth on a Anacropora.
 
I'm really not sure I have never had an Anacrapora before. I have kept Spongodes and that does not look like it IME. The Spongodes I had would get fatter more irregular branches. Also the one pictured has little to no plating.
 
I believe it's spongodes. Depending on flow it can take many growth forms. This is a frag I cut a couple months ago on my rack that has similar growth to yours. Not a great pic since glass is dirty but you can get the picture

20181211_200133.jpg
 
That's a new one for me... never heard of it. A quick google search and that looks a lot closer to what I have than a Spongodes.

View attachment 915282

I have what's called a blueberry capitata. Green bumpy skin, it will plate but seems to grow branches faster than a spongodes, and the polyps are blue/purple. I have an unnamed one as well with dull maybe purple polyps, not as green. I keep both on the sandbed where they slowly wander and stick up branches.
 
Its not spongodes. Im not sure what it is, but i got a freebie with an order i made and it looks just like that. Let me see if i can find name for you. I have mine in sand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new