Macna 2018 questions

kevin.st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am headed to Macna this year, finally. I am wondering if this is a place to buy corals/equipment, or just view them. I am driving, so I can bring a cooler, heater, bubbler, ect.

What else should I know as a first timer?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome my friend.
I will be there as well.
Make sure your CC has sufficient balance or bring cash, cash talks more than the Plastic thingie

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on whether you are coming for a single day, or for the whole 3 day affair, you might think about bringing a 5-10 gallon tank to keep in your room. With a simple airstone and maybe a simple HOB filter, you can keep all your coral purchases happy until it's time to pack up and head home.
Oh... And as @Diesel said above, cash is king.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am staying the full 3 days!! I guess I will be bringing a holding tank for the hotel. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

My wife is going to be so mad.

Don't forget a heater. I know whenever I check into a hotel, the AC is always set to Arctic...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I’m not buying guys.
Where I get it from is cheaper than wholesale.

Mael

Bridgeburner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most vendors will hold your purchases until Sunday if you dont want to bring a small tank for the hotel room, then you can pack up Sunday afternoon before they break down at 4pm, just bring enough coolers as you will buy more than your expecting.

I might bring my 8g frag tank anyway but there are options, especially if your driving.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1000122.jpg

I use building an Obsession frag carriers and I have a jug of water. that I use to change out the water everyday if need be. Most vendors will hold corals till Sunday afternoon.
I fly in so I use these as otherwise TSA will not let corals on the plane. Equipment companies sell their stuff that is not prototypes.. Soif you are looking for a tank or that cool skimmer bring your truck and load up Sunday afternoon. Nothing leaves the floor till 4 or 5 pm .

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only by small equipment as the last few years MACNA has been out west and I have to fly into the show. An can not bring home a aquarium in the seat next to me. Same way with the raffles I never do those because of the trouble bringing the stuff home. I go to visit with friends who I have met over the years since I have been going to MACNA since #3 and this is #30 I just enjoy talking to all my friends and it is REEF TALK 24 hours for 4 days what more could you want.:)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use building an Obsession frag carriers and I have a jug of water. that I use to change out the water everyday if need be. Most vendors will hold corals till Sunday afternoon.
I fly in so I use these as otherwise TSA will not let corals on the plane. Equipment companies sell their stuff that is not prototypes.. Soif you are looking for a tank or that cool skimmer bring your truck and load up Sunday afternoon. Nothing leaves the floor till 4 or 5 pm .

TSA will not let you thru if you have Coral in a specimen cup it has to be one of those?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have to be approved containers. I lost 1000 dollars worth of frags at the San Diego airport due to TSA idiots. Learned the hard way.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have to be approved containers. I lost 1000 dollars worth of frags at the San Diego airport due to TSA idiots. Learned the hard way.

What makes it a TSA approved container? Does it come with a certificate that says it is TSA approved?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the TSA website

"Live Coral
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: No
Live corals in water and a clear transparent container are allowed after inspection by the TSA officer."

From that seems like a clear specimen cup should be fine.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can tell you was they wouldn't take specimen cups the last two MACNA's. Go for it if you want to do it as an experiment.:)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can tell you was they wouldn't take specimen cups the last two MACNA's. Go for it if you want to do it as an experiment.:)

Do not want to experiment just looking for the rules.

Wish the TSA site would list what containers were allowed.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder when they changed it for checked bags, I have thrown coral and whole shipping boxes in my checked bags a number of times.

Back