Macro algae and corals?

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’d like to know if I can have macro algae and corals at the same time? I found one rizome in my tank a couple months ago and I hadn’t planned on having plants in my saltwater tank. Here’s a recent photo of it. It’s really tiny. I’m not ready for corals yet as my tank is only 4 or 5 months old. I placed it in a breeding box to not loose it again and observe it better. If so, what are your experiences? I only have a 33 gallon tank, so my coral and macro algae is very limited. I also got told that this rizome is chaeto algae. I started my tank on August 8, 2023 and cycle has finished on September 8, 2023.

Ps : I haven’t bought it from my lfs and my lfs just got confused as to what it was. It just randomly showed up one day in my tank and I thought that it was a tiny plastic pieces that accidentally in my tank.

20231224212001_IMG_6954.jpeg

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’d like to know if I can have macro algae and corals at the same time? I found one rizome in my tank a couple months ago and I hadn’t planned on having plants in my saltwater tank. Here’s a recent photo of it. It’s really tiny. I’m not ready for corals yet as my tank is only 4 or 5 months old. I placed it in a breeding box to not loose it again and observe it better. If so, what are your experiences? I only have a 33 gallon tank, so my coral and macro algae is very limited. I also got told that this rizome is chaeto algae. I started my tank on August 8, 2023 and cycle has finished on September 8, 2023.

Ps : I haven’t bought it from my lfs and my lfs just got confused as to what it was. It just randomly showed up one day in my tank and I thought that it was a tiny plastic pieces that accidentally in my tank.

You can keep macro algae with corals as long as you watch the growth of each. Also 4-5 months should be good enough to start considering corals assuming parameters are within range and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

What fish do you have in there?

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep macro algae with corals as long as you watch the growth of each. Also 4-5 months should be good enough to start considering corals assuming parameters are within range and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

What fish do you have in there?
Thanks! I only have 2 clown fish in there at the moment.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I only have 2 clown fish in there at the moment.
I'd start looking at some simple corals then. Try not to over stock as well. I had a tendency to overstock when I started because I thought i could get away with more fish due to my past experience with freshwater fish. I'd consider another fish or two such as a yellow watchman goby as well. 2 clowns and a goby plus some corals and macroalgae seems like a wonderful tank.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start looking at some simple corals then. Try not to over stock as well. I had a tendency to overstock when I started because I thought i could get away with more fish due to my past experience with freshwater fish. I'd consider another fish or two such as a yellow watchman goby as well. 2 clowns and a goby plus some corals and macroalgae seems like a wonderful tank.
Thanks! I’m not rushing to stock my tank anyway. Before adding any other fish, I’ll make a lid as I don’t want them to jump out. My clowns have been in there for at least 2 months in my tank. There’s another thing that I’ll do before adding corals and more fish is to fix my canister filter noise issue. I currently have it with 2 filter floss in it and it makes noises and projecting bubbles on the water surface. I cleaned it thoroughly 2 days ago.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO macros are a must in all ecosystems.

They eat co2, phosphate, nitrates, host lots of pods... I see only benefits. I would leave somewhere in the sand bed under the lights and let it grow.

Ppl will have algae scrubbers, chaeto in sump.. but what if you can have something beautiful in your display and still have all the benefits?

Maybe this is not the most beautiful algae, but given it a chance. Someone may say about invasive fast grow species but you can always grab them and throw away.

I buy them, you got it for free. Be happy lol.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO macros are a must in all ecosystems.

They eat co2, phosphate, nitrates, host lots of pods... I see only benefits. I would leave somewhere in the sand bed under the lights and let it grow.

Ppl will have algae scrubbers, chaeto in sump.. but what if you can have something beautiful in your display and still have all the benefits?

Maybe this is not the most beautiful algae, but given it a chance. Someone may say about invasive fast grow species but you can always grab them and throw away.

I buy them, you got it for free. Be happy lol.
Thanks! I only placed my rizome in a breeding box because I always loose it in my tank as this super small. Here’s a photo of it on my thumb for scale. I believe it’s a cheatomorpha as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 24

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kudoes to your journey. I use both ornamemental & utilitarian macro algae in display tank.

Chaetomorphy is an excellent utilitarian seaweed. Consider a few other seaweeds that are more gorgeous, yet, as you have pointed out, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

Russ Kronwetter is diver-owner of GulfCoast Ecosstemsl. He knows seaweed. Check out his free resource guide on seaweed.

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.​
Table of Contents
Copyright © 2011 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.

@Oiseaufeu
i noticed Montreal is your home port. My Cajun French culture came from Acadia at the end of French Indian War in early colonial North America.

Do you speak French as your “mother tongue”.

voila: my interpretation of a mixed garden Caribbean lagoon.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ReefRebels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found macro algae to be hard to keep, but I have a low n&p sps tank. You should have no problem putting a frag or two in now (I put a hammer coral into my tank its first week and slowly built my coral collection up over a two month period, but I do coral then fish when I start a tank and use live rock from a lfs to start the tank off with lots of little critters).

I have found small pieces of macro tend to last longer than bigger chunks, but they just don't seem to like my tank. If you have had some for awhile, just go slowly with introducing new things to the tank. Which it sounds like is the way you are going. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kudoes to your journey. I use both ornamemental & utilitarian macro algae in display tank.

Chaetomorphy is an excellent utilitarian seaweed. Consider a few other seaweeds that are more gorgeous, yet, as you have pointed out, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

Russ Kronwetter is diver-owner of GulfCoast Ecosstemsl. He knows seaweed. Check out his free resource guide on seaweed.

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.​
Table of Contents
Copyright © 2011 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.

@Oiseaufeu
i noticed Montreal is your home port. My Cajun French culture came from Acadia at the end of French Indian War in early colonial North America.

Do you speak French as your “mother tongue”.

voila: my interpretation of a mixed garden Caribbean lagoon.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Thanks! Yes, I’m from Montréal. I was so surprised to find a free macro algae in my tank. I expected many other hitchickers from my live rocks than this. I installed it in a breeding box to have an eye on its evolution. And your tank is so beautiful! I also had a dream that my tank had a forest of macro algae and that my clown fish were happy in it. I only have Raging reef as my lfs for marine stuff on the Montréal island. All the other lfs are outside of Montréal.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for kind words.
Where did your live rock come from? If it came from the ocean, there may be many more surprises.

This rock showed beautiful Coraline and nothing more three years ago when I received it from

LOOK AT ME NOW!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for kind words.
Where did your live rock come from? If it came from the ocean, there may be many more surprises.

This rock showed beautiful Coraline and nothing more three years ago when I received it from

LOOK AT ME NOW!!!
I got my live rocks from a lfs outside of Montréal named Poissons Arc-en-ciels. There were a couple fish and many tubs full of rocks.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my live rocks from a lfs outside of Montréal named Poissons Arc-en-ciels. There were a couple fish and many tubs full of rocks.
Love the duality of poetic expression: Poseidon, Lord of the Sea.

Rainbow Fish is a children's animated television series, produced in 1999.[1] It was adapted from the book of the same name; however, the television series does not follow the plot of the book; rather it takes the character and the setting and creates a new story with them. Some characters were added and others embellished for the purposes of the show. In the series, the place where the fish live is called Neptune Bay (after Neptune, the god of the sea). The fish attend "The School of Fish". There is a shipwreck called "Shipwreck Park" in the series that resembles the wreck of the RMS Titanic. It was produced by Decode Entertainment, EM.TV and Sony Wonder

When I googled in French I got the above. Ask LFS where they got the rock. A previous hobby business of mine was AquaCultureRanch that used diver collected gulf live rocks to inoculate / seed dense Texas Holy Rock which was deposited when dinosaurs roamed Earth and Texas was a shallow inland sea full of Diatoms, a type of phytoplankton.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the duality of poetic expression: Poseidon, Lord of the Sea.

Rainbow Fish is a children's animated television series, produced in 1999.[1] It was adapted from the book of the same name; however, the television series does not follow the plot of the book; rather it takes the character and the setting and creates a new story with them. Some characters were added and others embellished for the purposes of the show. In the series, the place where the fish live is called Neptune Bay (after Neptune, the god of the sea). The fish attend "The School of Fish". There is a shipwreck called "Shipwreck Park" in the series that resembles the wreck of the RMS Titanic. It was produced by Decode Entertainment, EM.TV and Sony Wonder

When I googled in French I got the above. Ask LFS where they got the rock. A previous hobby business of mine was AquaCultureRanch that used diver collected gulf live rocks to inoculate / seed dense Texas Holy Rock which was deposited when dinosaurs roamed Earth and Texas was a shallow inland sea full of Diatoms, a type of phytoplankton.
I haven’t asked the guy where he got the rocks, but I believe that they’re aquacultured because it’s nowhere near the ocean. It was quite expensive that I haven’t bought enough for my 33 gallon tank so I got a few more rocks on Facebook market.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t asked the guy where he got the rocks, but I believe that they’re aquacultured because it’s nowhere near the ocean. It was quite expensive that I haven’t bought enough for my 33 gallon tank so I got a few more rocks on Facebook market.
I never realized how fortunate I was to grow up living in the Forest & River Swamps of Southwest Louisiana . I started by collecting grass shrimp to feed a native fresh water tank with tadpoles & crawfish. At ten years old, in 1957 The Readers Digest Article, The Golden Rule Banker launched my fathers career. As President & CEO of Gurantee Bank, I was privledged to explore fishing in the Deep Blue with the banks boat. Because I would often get seasick, when we arrived at our fishing destination, I would transfer from rocking boat to stable production platform via swing rope. Often, I didn’t bother fishing as I peered down into the Deep Blue. That was 65 years ago. It’s addicting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never realized how fortunate I was to grow up living in the Forest & River Swamps of Southwest Louisiana .I started collected grass shrimp to feed a native fresh water tank with tadpoles & crawfish. At ten years old, in 1957 The Readers Digest Article, The Golden Rule Banker launched my fathers career. As President & CEO of Gurantee Bank, I was privledged to explore fishing in the Deep Blue with the banks boat. Because I would often get seasick, when we arrived at our fishing drstination, I would transfer from rocking boat to stable production platform via swing rope. Often, I didn’t bother fishing as I peered down into the Deep Blue. That was 65 years ago. It’s addicting.
I loved watching minows under deks with my cousin. We would also catch some and put them in a tiny tanks for a few minutes before releasing them back into the lake. It was fun. When I cycled my tank, I was watching my rocks all day. Just to see what would come out. I found so many things in less than 5 weeks. Amphipods were one of the first hitchikers, but the first one was a tiny snail that became 14 snails. The hardest hitchiker to find was vermitid snails as they don’t move snd they’re very well camouflaged.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the little people who manage our ecosystems.

The Art of being a good steward with things is to put yourself in their world. It was easy for me to be Jacque Cotsteau. For 30 years, I worked on and in the Deep Blue as a Senior Subsea Engineer, responsible for BOP and Well Control in Deepwater Drilling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back