Macro algae in display tank?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this may sound crazy, or worse, stupid, but I do not have a sump, or refugium, so I am thinking about putting some macro algae in my display tank, for 2 reasons. 1) all the benefits, and 2) I think my Naso tang and my foxface would love munching on it. Any and all thoughts on this welcome! I know absolutely nothing about macro algae, other than it is beneficial to keeping down nutrients and phosphates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcarious macroalgae would be fine. Otherwise it may end up just getting eaten before it can grow. A lot seem to ignore chaeto so you could probably have a tuft of that in the display.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this may sound crazy, or worse, stupid, but I do not have a sump, or refugium, so I am thinking about putting some macro algae in my display tank, for 2 reasons. 1) all the benefits, and 2) I think my Naso tang and my foxface would love munching on it. Any and all thoughts on this welcome! I know absolutely nothing about macro algae, other than it is beneficial to keeping down nutrients and phosphates.
You are not crazy, and I do not have a sump or a refugium either. I have 2 tanks however and have macro in one of them, but not the one with the foxface. I do not think any macro algae stand a chance with that fish.
I have only small carnivorous fish with my macro. I cut the overgrown macro and feed them to the foxface. He certainly love them and they never last more than a few minutes.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not crazy, and I do not have a sump or a refugium either. I have 2 tanks however and have macro in one of them, but not the one with the foxface. I do not think any macro algae stand a chance with that fish.
I have only small carnivorous fish with my macro. I cut the overgrown macro and feed them to the foxface. He certainly love them and they never last more than a few minutes.
Sounds awesome! what type of macro do you grow?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept Chaeto in the display before.
It can just get out of control and turn into a big blob so needs pruning often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back