Macro lens for nikon

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Mccool, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Mccool

Mccool Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Hello all,

I' starting to research the purchase of a macro lens for my camera. I have a nikon d3400 with the 18-55 And 70-300 kit lenses it came with. I'd like to be able to take nice macro shots of my corals and these lenses have proven insufficient for my needs.

From my preliminary research, I'm looking at a tokina 100mm macro lens. Anyone have experience with this lens? Any cheaper options I should be looking at? I'm not in love with the price tag on the tokina, but I understand this isn't a cheap purchase.

Thanks

Tags:

2. BigJim

BigJim Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I use the Tokina on my D7000 and love it. I think I remember hearing that the auto focus does not work on the D3xxx models because they do not have an internal auto focus motor. You will likely want to use manual focus anyway if you are like most people taking macro shots. I don't think I have ever used auto focus. The lens takes great photos though. Here is a link to my tank thread that I do not update often. All of the macro shots were taken with the Tokina.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bigjims-155-tank-thread.257840/page-4#post-4333196

Mccool likes this.
  3. Mccool

Your photos are fantastic! That's the quality I'm looking for. The lack of auto focus is a non issue for me. Thanks for the feedback

4. Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365

This is what I just got for the same camera and am pleased with it.

[​IMG]

Mccool and TheEngineer like this.
  5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I use this one too. You can usually get one from eBay from a Canadian seller for around $200

Mccool likes this.
  6. Mccool

Thank you both for the input, I'll do some research on that one as well.

7. erk

erk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I use a Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens for many of my images. It is fully manual and you will find yourself typically operating in manual mode on a tripod when doing macro work. I recently purchased a Nikon 200 f4 micro which is an amazing telemacro lens. Both of these lenses gets me to 1:1 magnification. On the 55mm I sometimes use a 1.4x TC to get even closer to the subject.

Something to consider when purchasing a macro lens is your working distance. The Vivitar I have gives me about an inch of working room between the subject and the front of the lens at 1:1. The 200 gives me about a foot.

I recommend the Nikon 60mm micro. These are affordable and very well built. There is also the Nikon 105mm micro which is a good purchase as well.

The latest pictures I posted on my build thread were taken with my 200mm. The top down shots of the coral and even the video I did were shot with my 55mm. Everything was shot using my Nikon D810.

8. O'l Salty

O'l Salty Active Member

Is it a fixed lense or zoom? I'm looking at a new macro and don't know which one to get.

9. BigJim

BigJim Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

It is a fixed lens.

10. Xandernfs

Xandernfs Active Member

I use the Sigma 105mm Macro lens and it's really nice. We use it when we shoot weddings and engagement ring shots and it is flawless. All we shoot is Sigma and have had nothing but great performance with them. Since my tank is fairly new, I don't have a ton of coral to shoot. This is prolly my favorite shot with it...

[​IMG]

Crimsonvice and TheEngineer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted