Macro lens for nikon

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I' starting to research the purchase of a macro lens for my camera. I have a nikon d3400 with the 18-55 And 70-300 kit lenses it came with. I'd like to be able to take nice macro shots of my corals and these lenses have proven insufficient for my needs.

From my preliminary research, I'm looking at a tokina 100mm macro lens. Anyone have experience with this lens? Any cheaper options I should be looking at? I'm not in love with the price tag on the tokina, but I understand this isn't a cheap purchase.

Thanks

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tokina on my D7000 and love it. I think I remember hearing that the auto focus does not work on the D3xxx models because they do not have an internal auto focus motor. You will likely want to use manual focus anyway if you are like most people taking macro shots. I don't think I have ever used auto focus. The lens takes great photos though. Here is a link to my tank thread that I do not update often. All of the macro shots were taken with the Tokina.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bigjims-155-tank-thread.257840/page-4#post-4333196

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photos are fantastic! That's the quality I'm looking for. The lack of auto focus is a non issue for me. Thanks for the feedback

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I just got for the same camera and am pleased with it.

f8c5f811697ee203b5c27e3cbe06aaba.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens for many of my images. It is fully manual and you will find yourself typically operating in manual mode on a tripod when doing macro work. I recently purchased a Nikon 200 f4 micro which is an amazing telemacro lens. Both of these lenses gets me to 1:1 magnification. On the 55mm I sometimes use a 1.4x TC to get even closer to the subject.

Something to consider when purchasing a macro lens is your working distance. The Vivitar I have gives me about an inch of working room between the subject and the front of the lens at 1:1. The 200 gives me about a foot.

I recommend the Nikon 60mm micro. These are affordable and very well built. There is also the Nikon 105mm micro which is a good purchase as well.

The latest pictures I posted on my build thread were taken with my 200mm. The top down shots of the coral and even the video I did were shot with my 55mm. Everything was shot using my Nikon D810.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tokina on my D7000 and love it. I think I remember hearing that the auto focus does not work on the D3xxx models because they do not have an internal auto focus motor. You will likely want to use manual focus anyway if you are like most people taking macro shots. I don't think I have ever used auto focus. The lens takes great photos though. Here is a link to my tank thread that I do not update often. All of the macro shots were taken with the Tokina.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bigjims-155-tank-thread.257840/page-4#post-4333196

Is it a fixed lense or zoom? I'm looking at a new macro and don't know which one to get.

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Sigma 105mm Macro lens and it's really nice. We use it when we shoot weddings and engagement ring shots and it is flawless. All we shoot is Sigma and have had nothing but great performance with them. Since my tank is fairly new, I don't have a ton of coral to shoot. This is prolly my favorite shot with it...

7EJ2Uqi.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back