Macroalgae ID

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I had a type of macro come in on my gulf live rock. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out exactly what it is. I've recently been having cloudy water in the mornings so I'm assuming something has gone sexual and I'm trying to figure out what. (The green macro)
20221019_142520.jpg
20221019_142557.jpg

OP
OP
fohadi16

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do you guys think this should be removed immediately, or will my hermits take care of it

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do you guys think this should be removed immediately, or will my hermits take care of it
Why would you remove it? If you are removing it, would you consider shipping me some? :D I am growing beds of macros in my display tank and would love to add this to the collection.

OP
OP
fohadi16

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you remove it? If you are removing it, would you consider shipping me some? :D I am growing beds of macros in my display tank and would love to add this to the collection.
The only reason I would want to remove it is the fact that I am pretty sure this is the macro that is going sexual. My tank is extremely cloudy in the mornings. I'm running carbon and testing, I will wait a bit to see how it turns out, if I decide to remove it I dont mind sending them your way.

OP
OP
fohadi16

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just checked out your build thread. Looks awesome man, good stuff!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its caulerpa species although some looks to be derbesia but tang salad for sure

OP
OP
fohadi16

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Di

Did you just add the rock? My tank was fairy cloudy following the addition of fresh Gulf live rock and actual live sand. Settled down after about 72 hours.
I added the rock about 3 weeks ago

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I would want to remove it is the fact that I am pretty sure this is the macro that is going sexual. My tank is extremely cloudy in the mornings. I'm running carbon and testing, I will wait a bit to see how it turns out, if I decide to remove it I dont mind sending them your way.
Hermits probably won't. What species do you have?
Not much of the Caulerpa seems to have gone sexual, at least judging by the pictures. However, this species is known to be a very fast grower, so be cautious about keeping it.

OP
OP
fohadi16

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits probably won't. What species do you have?
Not much of the Caulerpa seems to have gone sexual, at least judging by the pictures. However, this species is known to be a very fast grower, so be cautious about keeping it.
A small portion of it turned white and disintegrated. I just moved houses so I was too busy to do anything about it after I noticed a few days ago. I also was not positive this was caulerpa, now I know. I'm mixing water as we speak so I can step in and start fixing it myself.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back